1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Strange VR question..

Discussion in 'Samsung Gear VR' started by Twan013, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Twan013

Twan013 Lurker
    None

Aug 6, 2011
    Male
    Lippert Components Inc
    Alabama
    I kind of have an odd situation regarding the gear VR. I'm getting one for Christmas, but I don't have a phone that'll work with it. My dilemma is that after using a phone with a 5.7 inch screen, I don't want to go smaller. All of my options to keep and use the VR are options that I'm not really a fan of. I prefer a brand new phone, so the note 5 is out. I don't want to go smaller than 5.5", so the s7 is not for me. I'm pretty rough with my phones and I'm afraid that the s7 edge is too delicate for me, with the way the screen wraps around.

In a perfect world, the note 7 debacle would have never happened, and there would be no question as to what phone I'd get.

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China

You do know that the Note7 was like that as well?
    Curved edge screen and looked very much like the S7 Edge, also had a glass back, it was just a bit larger and with an S-Pen.

Where are you in the world, who's your carrier? Like it would be no good me recommending an Oppo R9 Plus or something if your carrier is say Verizon.

Most important thing for VR use, other than screen probably, that the phone must have a gyro sensor in it, to determine orientation and motion, CPU and GPU speed is important as well, so don't go budget and cheapo.

#2 mikedt, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    psionandy and davoid like this.
  3. davoid

davoid Android Expert

Aug 3, 2011
    London
    I was assuming the OP wanted to use the Samsung Gear VR platform, hence posting in this forum, and so doesn't seem to have the option to use anything that isn't Samsung.
    OP appears to have realistically assessed their lack of options seeing that they don't want an older Note 5.
    The only option is to use and avoid damaging an s7 Edge or wait to see what next year will bring from Samsung.

I too am not enamoured by the Edge displays. They seem impractical to me.

psionandy likes this.
  4. major2112

major2112 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Male
    Willoughby, Ohio
    Agree with davoid, S7 edge might be your only option at this time. Yes, the edge radius is slightly different than the note 7's but it doesn't affect the VR experience at all, so if your careful, it might be the way to go.