1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Strategy for Galaxy Note AT&T (coming from Verizon)?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by OldSmoky, Nov 25, 2011.

1. OldSmoky

OldSmoky Member

I will be moving from Verizon to AT&T and buying an unlocked Galaxy Note from Amazon. I need some tips on what kind of strategy I need to take.

1. I don't have a sim card--what's the cheapest way of getting one?
    2. Will I have to sign a two-year contract or can I go month to month since I'm bringing my own phone. If I have to sign a contract, I guess I would be smart to buy a subsidized phone, i.e., iPhone 4s and sell it on eBay.
    Any other tips you have would be appreciated.

I don't see Verizon ever bringing a CDMA version of this phone to their network considering all their screwing around in bringing the Nexus Prime to market.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. nb_mitch

nb_mitch Android Enthusiast

You don't need to sign a 2-yr contract if you aren't getting a subsidized phone in the deal. You should be able to get service without a contract with At&t by just going into a store, phone or online. I would wait until you have the device and make sure it is "Unlocked". The Sim should be free but they may have you pay an activation fee of about $20.

3. OldSmoky

OldSmoky Member

Thanks. It's good to know I can leave and sell the phone if the service is no good here (N. AZ)

4. I am in the same situation as you. Don't have the Note yet and don't have a service with AT&T. I talked to AT&T rep yesterday and was informed that I can go to a store and pick up a SIM card for $5.99 and then pay $36 activation fee. Can get no-commitment plan and pay monthly.
    What I don't know is which plan to get to make sure it works with the Note. I don't think you can use the Note with the 4G LTE plan for tablets. Maybe DataConnect for Tablets 2 GB for $25. Or I don't know if you have to get the voice plan too. I don't want voice just data.

5. John566

John566 Newbie

I'm using an AT&T sim from an iPad that I activated while they had the unlimited plan for $25.

6. hhmmmm does that mean I can tell them I have a tablet and get an activated SIM card from them and just insert it into my Note? Will it work?

7. John566

John566 Newbie

If you activate a microsim in an ipad it should work fine after you change your APN to broadband. Keep in mind that AT&T unlimited plans are a thing of the past. If I ever let mine lapse I loose it. Im also carefull not to abuse it and probably never go over 4GB even with WiFi sharring.

8. Does the Note use a MicroSIM?

9. John566

John566 Newbie

The note uses a full size SIM. I had to use an adapter.

10. I see. I wonder if I could pull this off with an Android tablet not an iPad. I don't see why not. Just need to figure out how to get a SIM card from ATT

11. snuggles

snuggles Android Enthusiast

I might be right behind you. I'm sick of verizons B.S. with their release of phones.

12. Hi John566,

What APN settings are you using?

13. John566

John566 Newbie

Just set the APN setting to "broadband" (no quotes).

Samsung Galaxy Note Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note release date was January 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 2500mAh battery.

January 2012
Release Date
Reviews