1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Streak 5 or HTC Inspire?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by knubie, Feb 3, 2011.

1. knubie

knubie Newbie

I'm stuck, and I'm not sure which phone to purchase and need the forum's advise.

I've narrowed my search down to the Dell Streak (Mini 5) and the HTC Inspire. Both phones are $99 and have 1 Ghz processor, run Android 2.2. Inspire has 512 MB of RAM, Inspire has 768 MB Ram.

Streak runs on 3G, Inspire on 4G.

Both screens have a 480x800 resolution. However, the the Inspire has a 4.3" screen, Streak has 5". Both take 720p video. Inspire has a 8 MP Camera. The Streak has a 5 MP camera, but also have a front-facing camera for video conferencing.

I use my phones more as a table than a phone. I surf the Web, use apps, take pics and videos.

I'm stuck between these two phones. Have any of you played with the Dell Streak? What are your thoughts, which one should I buy?

Here's a site to compare specs:
    Compare Dell Streak and HTC Inspire 4G mobile phones

Dell's Web site for the Streak:
    Dell Streak Details | Dell

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. nb_mitch

nb_mitch Android Enthusiast

I had a Sony X10 for about 29 days before I returned it for a Dell Streak. It doesn't seem like allot but that 1" inch difference is size is huge. I use mine more as a tablet too, with email, web surfing, WunderRadio, etc. I do use it as a phone too, but that is not my big requirement. I use it primarily on Wifi too, my data usage for the past 2 months as been 5mb and 28mb, well below my 200mb limit, although when I do use it on 3g, it is amazing, but then I am coming from a BB curve on Edge, so anything would be amazing :D

I carry it everywhere in my pockets and have not had any issues with it being too big. Jeans are a bit tight, but in cargo pants or my motorcycle jacket, it is great.

Personally, I think you figure out which network works best for you and then pick a device from what that carrier has, but I'm old school :eek:
    Good Luck.

knubie likes this.
  3. knubie

knubie Newbie

I went to Best Buy today to look at the Streak phone. It's huge! That's in a good way and bad way :) . I felt silly when I held is up to my ear.The Best Buy employee said that a Bluetooth ear piece is a must (I don't like them). It fits fine in my slacks and the outline was definitely visible. It does look like a tight fit for jeans and might be a bit hard to have when doing yard work.

It still has Android 1.6 on it, but that's an easy remedy. I travel 4-6 times a year, so the front-facing camera is good to talk to my 2-year old.

The Best Buy employee kept telling me that overall, HTC is a much better quality phone. However, he said that Best Buy allows the 30-day test period, like AT&T. If I don't like it I can swap it for another phone, but only once. So, I'm thinking that I could try the Streak for 30 days. If I don't like it, I can swap it for the HTC Inspire.

I asked the Best Buy employee how many of the phones get sold. He said usually one a week and only one has been returned, that he's aware of, because of the color. Interestingly, he also said that nobody under 20 is buying the phone, only those like me who know what it is and will upgrade the OS.

4. knubie

knubie Newbie

nb_mitch, It sounds like you have similar usage patterns as me. How long does the battery last on your Streak? I've seen complaints about the battery life and was curious what you experienced.

Dell Streak Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews