• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Streaming DLNA to Sony Bravia TV

Pete71

Apr 29, 2010
UK
I tried using the DNLA on my Galaxy S2 earlier to stream to my Sony Bravia 40EX503 TV. I could get the photo's to display and I could play the music from my phone on the TV, but I couldn't get a video clip to play (taken using the phone camera at 1080, and 480 resolution.)

Has anyone else been able to do this, and are there any setting I need to change to use DNLA with video?

I was using the app on the phone called "Allshare".

It frustrating that the TV could see the photos and music but not the video.

Most likely the default video format is bring saved as .3gp the tv won't support that format. If you can convert the file to one supported by the tv then it will probably work.

You can look up the supported formats for your tv on the sony site under product support.

I also have a bravia tv, but everything gets steamed through either my cable box or ps3.

I believe the bravia should play .mpg / .mpeg video, but without looking it up I could be wrong.

You could try updating your tv's firmware, it may include support for more video formats, but thats a tad hopeful.

Upvote 0
Most likely the default video format is bring saved as .3gp the tv won't support that format. If you can convert the file to one supported by the tv then it will probably work.

You can look up the supported formats for your tv on the sony site under product support.

I also have a bravia tv, but everything gets steamed through either my cable box or ps3.

I believe the bravia should play .mpg / .mpeg video, but without looking it up I could be wrong.

You could try updating your tv's firmware, it may include support for more video formats, but thats a tad hopeful.

this.
tv will only support mpg/mpeg. don't think a firmwire update will sort it but worth checking.

Upvote 0
You are quite right , the sgs2 will stream via dnla for photos and music but not vids .... however, connect your sgs2 to a pc copy the vids to a memory stick, do not convert or do anything at all other than copy... plug the memory stick into the usb slot on your Bravia TV and it will play.. no problem.

I do not know why this is I tried a number of video conversions before I discovered this so give it a try.. it works for me every time.

Cheers

Reactions: iynCognito
Upvote 0
You are quite right , the sgs2 will stream via dnla for photos and music but not vids .... however, connect your sgs2 to a pc copy the vids to a memory stick, do not convert or do anything at all other than copy... plug the memory stick into the usb slot on your Bravia TV and it will play.. no problem.

I do not know why this is I tried a number of video conversions before I discovered this so give it a try.. it works for me every time.

Cheers

Have modified your technique to make it easier to play recorded video from the sgs2 to a sony tv. You don't need to transfer it to a pc at all. Via thewireless and connection menu on settings, choose to connect the phone via usb storage mode direct to the usb port on your sony bravia tv! You can then just go via your tv menu to locate and play all the videos on your phone.

Works a treat. No copying, no converting. Don't need an mhl cable!

Upvote 0
I tried using the DNLA on my Galaxy S2 earlier to stream to my Sony Bravia 40EX503 TV. I could get the photo's to display and I could play the music from my phone on the TV, but I couldn't get a video clip to play (taken using the phone camera at 1080, and 480 resolution.)

Has anyone else been able to do this, and are there any setting I need to change to use DNLA with video?

I was using the app on the phone called "Allshare".

It frustrating that the TV could see the photos and music but not the video.

Thing is, TV's don't support 3gp formats but MP4, the question is: How do you set your phone (SGS2) to only record videos in MP4, it seems to me that whenever you put your resolution to 1080x480 the format comes out to be 3gp??

Upvote 0
Old thread but for the record...
I own a Sony Bravia KDL46EX503 and have WAISTED many hours trying to find what formats the DLNA client supports.
First thing to note, there are file formats and there are video codecs BOTH are important. For example you can have an AVI file format containing video data that requires the AVC codec to play it. On a similar basic you can have an MP4 file format containing video data that requires the AVC codec to play it. However even though the Sony DLNA client can play AVC video data it does not recognise either the AVI or MP4 file format! Why? If you no the answer please tell me!
The Sony DLNA client for the KDLxxEX serries TV supports the following file formats:
MPEG-PS (.mpg or .mpeg) and must contain video data for MPEG version 2 codec.
BDAV (.mts or .m2ts) and must contain video data for the AVC codec.
Audio data must be in either MP3 or AC3 codec formats. To be certain that the audio will work you are best advised to use the AC3 format. (you can use either 2ch or 5.1ch )
Please do not waist any time with any other formats unless Sony have specifically told you that they now support them.
I have been successful at streaming both MPEG2 and AVCHD to my Sony via Twonky Media Server all other formats DO NOT work.
Given that a Sony TV that supports DLNA clients are not cheap I do find their attitude to supporting multiple file formats very arrogant. In particular I do not understand why they only support the MP4 and DIVx formats on the USB?
How difficult is it? Well my 10" Polaroid picture frame with wireless connection supports every format (except DIVx) that I have thrown at it so far. It recognises AVI, MP4, MPEG2, MPEG1, WMV all with various codecs including VIDx and AVC!
Come on Sony get with the picture (pun intended)!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones