1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Streaming music via bluetooth to car stereo

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by theadderblack, Feb 24, 2011.

1. theadderblack

theadderblack Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Ok, so I have a Pioneer head unit in my SUV that I connect several Bluetooth devices to (but only have 1 active at a time, obviously). When I pair my Captivate to the unit, everything goes fine - I can make and receive phonecalls perfectly - BUT when I try to stream music through the player on my Captivate, it cannot find the stereo...!

Why? How do I do this? It should work if the phone capabilities are working no? When I scan for a device in the music player, it comes up with nothing, yet the stereo appears in the list of bluetooth devices in the settings on my Captivate...

Weird.:thinking: HELP!

Advertisement

2. theadderblack

theadderblack Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Anyone? *bump*

3. mnemonicj

mnemonicj Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 21, 2010
    You scan for a device in the music player? I don't understand that. Bluetooth connections work independently of the music player.

I may be able to help because I have a Pioneer car stereo, but I am away from my car so I can't do it now. Hopefully I will try it tonight and post if I am successful.

4. NatesMom

NatesMom Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    I was looking for similar articles in order to play Pandora from my Captivate using my car's stereo system.

Here's a snippet from an article from EndGadget. Looks like you need to have some settings in place on the phone side. Unfortunately, my VW wagon doesn't have bluetooth nor a USB (just a darn iPod port!), so I haven't been able to test this out. Hope it helps!

Bluetooth audio streaming
    Bluetooth pairing your car stereo and Android phone

[​IMG] View the full gallery

Requirements: Stereo with Bluetooth A2DP audio streaming capability
    Setup: The Bluetooth connection process varies from stereo to stereo, but usually it starts with initiating the pairing mode on your car stereo. This could mean finding an option in a menu or giving the system the right voice commands. (Hint: Try "setup" or "help.") The system may ask you a few questions, and then prompt you to complete the setup process on your handset.
    Next on your Android phone, head into the Settings menu and select Wireless & Networks. Make sure that the Bluetooth antenna is powered on by checking the box next to Bluetooth, then select Bluetooth Settings submenu. At the bottom of the next screen, you'll find a list of available Bluetooth devices. Locate your stereo in the list and select it. You'll be prompted for a pin (which may will vary from stereo to stereo, but is usually 0000) and the pairing process will be complete. The entry in the Bluetooth devices list should read "Connected to phone and media audio." If not, then press and hold on the stereo's name until the contextual menu appears, then select Options and manually enable audio streaming by checking the box next to Media.

5. theadderblack

theadderblack Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Unfortunately, mine doesnt say ""Connected to phone and media audio.". When I hold down on the device name listed in the bluetooth settings, it pops up with "Unpair" and that's all folks!

No such luck. Even after entering the pin code for pairing the phone and stereo. I've had to resort to using an aux cable from the headphone jack to the stereo but what good is that? It sure aint sexy with all this cable flapping around on the front of my new stereo. Pffft!

6. mnemonicj

None

Sep 21, 2010
    What Pioneer stereo do you have (model number)? Not all Bluetooth stereos support A2DP and they must to be able to stream music. Does it say anything in the manual about setting up Bluetooth streaming?

I will test mine out after I get the kids to bed.

EDIT: Even though I got mine to work before, I can't get it to work now.

7. qfunk24

qfunk24 Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    Your Pioneer head unit likely doesn't support A2DP Bluetooth. Check the manual or contact support to confirm.

I'm doing research for one now and finding that very few units (on the low-mid tier end) have this. Unfortunately, still quite new and being deployed slowly. Might be some quality control issues slowing down deployment. The Sony deck at Best Buy that I tested on the fly had choppy streaming quality, granted there were a ton of other active Bluetooth signals live.

8. mnemonicj

None

Sep 21, 2010
    I had my Pioneer FH-P800BT (similar to the FH-P8000BT, but the Premier edition they used to sell) streaming music over Bluetooth from my two previous phones and I am certain I had it working on the Captivate before. It can be a little tricky to set up. If you don't get a higher end radio, it is possible that it has Bluetooth that may not support A2DP.