• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Streaming Netflix on the Razr

Alright, I noticed there was a post on a similar topic to this a few months ago, but my question wasnt answered and I dont want to raise a dead thread.

I got a new phone this week, the Motorola Razr (16gig). I went to stream netflix. One 40 minute video used 1.7 gig of my data! Now, this doesnt seem right as I have often streamed netflix on a previous phone: the Droid Charge, which used maybe 200mb per video, depending on the video, ofc. (NOTE both of these phones I plug into a TV with the HDMI port).

So, is there something radically different about my new Razr that would make it use *7-8x* the data for the same video as on my brother's Droid Charge???? Both are pushing out hdmi and using 4G, but maybe his charge streams at a lower quality setting?

I called Verizon and they said that 1.7 gbs for a video "sounded reasonable," which is odd to me (given my previous experience with the Charge that shows me otherwise, which he didnt believe, and outright called me a liar when I told him how much data it used). That means I can only watch 2 videos a month on this thing (4gb plan), while my brother's phone will allow us to watch 20...

Well, I cant seem to find an option for streaming quality either. Though to be honest Ive never had one of these phones before, and am rarely the one operating them when I have streamed from one, so I wouldnt know if Im missing a menu somewhere. But I would hope it wouldnt default to using THAT much data per video, as that would easily make a phone-noob like me run over my data limit without realizing it, considering it is a) a pre-installed app and advertised and b) even their better 5gig plan could hardly handle that...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones