• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Strong Demand for Apple and HTC, RIM Slipping Dangerously

eieio

Android Expert
Apr 6, 2010
Bat Cave
Apple has turned the smartphone world on its head when it first introduced the iPhone. Since then, other major players have been making tremendous advances and seeing a resurgence in prominence. Others are dangerousy falling behind. According to a survey conducted by ChangeWave Research, now is the time that most folks are planning to buy a smartphone within the next 90 days. Over the last year and a half, prospective smartphone customers rose and fell, and now they

Apple has turned the smartphone world on its head when it first introduced the iPhone. Since then, other major players have been making tremendous advances and seeing a resurgence in prominence. Others are dangerousy falling behind. According to a survey conducted by ChangeWave Research, now is the time that most folks are planning to buy a smartphone within the next 90 days. Over the last year and a half, prospective smartphone customers rose and fell, and now they

Reactions: rfss and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
RIMs phones are five years behind the times. They come out with new product but its the same dam thing just in a nicer looking case. That's not going to cut it in todays market of smart phones.

It still depends on the consumer though, not your or my opinion alone.

I like blackberries a lot, my second choice for a phone (Had 3 before my Evo). Theyre a fantastic device, maybe just not all the features that you specifically want.

There are still a lot of people out there who like them, thats why they still sell thousands of blackberries.

I have to agree with you though, they need to figure a few things out or they are gonna start falling off the market very soon.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I never really understood the hype over the next Blackberry device. They look virtually identical. The specs hardly ever improve and it's more a rehash of a slightly different design. What is the BIG DEAL????

I'm with you on that one.

It truly is a matter of personal choice - but frankly, my Ocean feature phone blew them away on many levels over three years ago - especially their most noted feature - push email.

That said, the BB has had some real strengths as I'm sure you know - the devices pretty much standardized, email worked in ways that a lot of corporate ITs liked - and that led to a snowball of a kinda Crackberry cult.

I think it's possible that RIM that RIM rehashes the design because their primary customer base will tolerate some missing capability but demand a sort of stability and predictability.

OK - I'm just being nice.

I never got them and after a few experiences with that keyboard that started with QW on one key - I vowed to never use my brane or my eye-hand coordination that way - ever.

Anyway - I'm just thankful for Android, because the day of my feature phone had to end, and there was no way I could go with RIM, WinMO or the iPhone. Best I could find besides those was Nokia, but it was somehow just too much of something I could never put my finger on - maybe the price.

/rant

Upvote 0
I was required to use blackberries for work. It was my first experience with smartphones, and I was very impressed with all that they could do. However, compared to the iphone(s) and now the modern Androids, they are really behind. It comes as no surprise that their popularity is declining rapidly, especially since email push technology is now widespread and reliability is high.

But I can see how people who have used nothing but blackberries, or people who like the physical keyboard would prefer the blackberry over a touchscreen smartphone. Personally, I'd never go back. My current company supports all smartphones.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I never really understood the hype over the next Blackberry device. They look virtually identical. The specs hardly ever improve and it's more a rehash of a slightly different design. What is the BIG DEAL????

BB are really nice phones design wise and system is really nice, push email Is the best in the market imo but customize wise is lacking In features and also apps, Android is really good for people that like complete customization and control and iPhone is for the people that just want simple way to do anything, I had all 3 OSs and Android is my choice but for my cousin is iPhone cause he can't live without Itunes or ipod and iPhone delivers that out of the box Android I love It and sense is really eye candy for some people like me but Android give you opportunity replace almost anything like the launcher or msg app to all sped of widgets which I use on the Samsung omnia but theey suck Android takes it to next level

Reactions: surfologist87
Upvote 0
Blackberries are over rated. Small keyboard and a small screen. Boring!

I had a co worker try to show off his new BB, he showed me his Pandora app and said " I bet your phone cant do that". I chuckled and said "are you serious"? He said what do you mean? So I showed him google goggles and the google earth app. He went away like a puppy with his tail stuck in between his legs. HA!

Upvote 0
BB are really nice phones design wise and system is really nice, push email Is the best in the market imo but customize wise is lacking In features and also apps, Android is really good for people that like complete customization and control and iPhone is for the people that just want simple way to do anything, I had all 3 OSs and Android is my choice but for my cousin is iPhone cause he can't live without Itunes or ipod and iPhone delivers that out of the box Android I love It and sense is really eye candy for some people like me but Android give you opportunity replace almost anything like the launcher or msg app to all sped of widgets which I use on the Samsung omnia but theey suck Android takes it to next level

Holy FU*KING SHIT. That was the most amazing run on sentence. Youre getting a 'thank you'. And then im buying you a pizza lolol

Blackberries are over rated. Small keyboard and a small screen. Boring!

I had a co worker try to show off his new BB, he showed me his Pandora app and said " I bet your phone cant do that". I chuckled and said "are you serious"? He said what do you mean? So I showed him google goggles and the google earth app. He went away like a puppy with his tail stuck in between his legs. HA!

Blackberries arent made for the pandora playing, facebooking, widgeting consumer. They have their crowd. Their keyboard is laid out the best of devices. And the screens arent Evo sized, but good. Although im happy i moved onto the Evo :D

Upvote 0
Holy FU*KING SHIT. That was the most amazing run on sentence. Youre getting a 'thank you'. And then im buying you a pizza lolol

I lol'd. for real. not the fake lol.

Upvote 0

Blackberries arent made for the pandora playing, facebooking, widgeting consumer. They have their crowd. Their keyboard is laid out the best of devices. And the screens arent Evo sized, but good. Although im happy i moved onto the Evo :D

I think the HTC Touch Pro 2 has the best KB layout on the market.

Upvote 0
RIM could probably just double their phone prices to get their profits up despite their dwindling sales because the U.S. Government is absolutely hooked on Blackberry devices.

Actually, this was their entire strategy not just for government customers, but pretty much all of corporate america. The rates companies pay for BB licenses are totally rediculous, especially when you look at what they're offering.

Upvote 0
I honestly think that part of it was a "status" thing for a while. I has 2 blackberries before my EVO and I didn't think I was missing much.....until I bought the EVO. If you don't need apps/eye candy, and love a physical keyboard, BackBerries are for you. But I find it funny how they include a hip holster. Carrying around a BlackBerry makes you look IMPORTANT. Carrying around an EVO/iPhone make you look COOL.

Upvote 0
BlackBerry would sell a TON of phones if they could just catch up and release a phone similar to the EVO or Iphone. Their first attempt at a similar phone (the storm) sold like crazy to people who wanted an "adult" iphone. Unfortunately for them they released a poor product way too soon and lost a lot of respect. The storms popularity however is testament that if they can create a respectable product, they would still compete in today’s smart phone market.

Upvote 0
I remember a former co-worker getting a Blackberry back when they were new.
At the time it seemed to me like a phone with a mail client and for the price and the plans required to have one it just seemed excessive.

So I asked him why he got it since he had absolutely no reason to respond to email on the minute and the reason was push email.

So what?
Then they got sued over it....

I know a lot of people use them and like them but it's now a dated device.
They had their shot but I could see RIM going the way of palm here in the next 10 years.

Upvote 0
Out where I work, we just recently moved away from our old 2-way pagers to phones. Us regular fab workers just got Motorola i465 phones with PTT and text, but cellular and the camera disables, while the managers and engineers all got Blackberries so they could do e-mail without having to lug their laptops around, I guess. By the way, the Moto i465 is a nice phone... if this was 2003. What a pile of crap.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones