1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Stuck in boot loop with 3.0.0.8 clockwork recovery. Could use a little help.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hand76, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Hand76

Hand76 Guest
    None
    Ok so I wanted to try out cm7 from my old deodexed froyo based rom and when i went back and nandroid my old rom (in clockwork 3.0.0.8) I am stuck in a boot loop.

Not liking clockowork too much right now. Going to go wipe everything a few times again and see if i can just boot up, install rom manager, and get an older recovery.

Also looking around I cant find a link to any older recoveries (like 2.5.0.5) or something that I used succesfully before.

Advertisement

2. Hand76

Hand76 Guest
    None
    Well after searching for about 45 minutes I finally found a 2.5.0.5 clockwork recovery hosted on some obscure site.

I can't tell you how dissapointeed I am right now in clockwork/Kosh.

First off how do you not give the user a warning that updating clockwork will lead to many basic roms you have saved not restoring correctly?

Second is any version of clockwork recovery should be able to backup/restore any rom.

Third how do you not make older clockwork recoveries easily available to the user? Rom Manger only lets you revert back to 3.0.0.5...Are you kidding? What good will that do most people with a non cm7 or gingerbread type rom? Even searching all of Koch site and his Gitrub I could not find any old clockwork recoveries anywhere.

Just a bad job all around on this one.

3. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #
    None

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    Yeah, there was an explanation about all this (has to do with different scripting for GB roms) but it's caused much confusion and failed loads. Sounds like you ended up figuring it all out anyway tho. Basically, it makes it less attractive to use older Roms that aren't supported by CWM 3+. I think Amon recovery does both but I'm not 100%. If so, that might be the answer since I'm guessing you're a guy that flashes directly in recovery anyway.

4. Hand76

Hand76 Guest
    None
    Hey Iowa. Yea this just left me a bit sour on clockwork.

It's not hard to throw up a warning when you click to flash a a new recovery in rom manager especially if (like I am finding out now) this is a known issue.

Plus I would have been really screwed if i got rid of the cm7 and gapps from my sd card, cause after i wiped data (for cm7) all my old nandroid backups were done on 2.5 clockwork and all got stuck in a boot loop. If I didn't have cm7 available to me to throw on again I would have had no way to boot the phone to get an old recovery on my sd card.

So I lucked out after 3 hours of work but i just feel bad for others that will soon come across the same thing.