• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Stuck in bootloader/recovery. How to flash a rom from Fastboot USB?

Hackenstein

Lurker
Jun 22, 2014
Hello All,

Looks like I got myself into a pickle with my DNA......

Right now the only two things I can access on the phone are the bootloader and CWM.

How I got here:

I went into CWM recovery and deleted/formatted everything (absolutely everything that could be deleted and/or formatted), thinking I could flash a radio/firmware upgrade, then the LiquidSmooth rom from adb/fastboot. Been a long time since I've worked with this phone and now all I got is the bootloader and CWM. Thought I could use adb to push the rom zip to the device, then go into recovery and flash it the right way, but when I go to fastboot on the device and use the push command in adb it tells me "error device not found".

Gonna stop right there and seek some advice. What's the best way to correct this mess?

Thanks ahead of time!

PS: Working with a DNA with an unlocked bootloader (S-ON), and it was running the stock rom before the first OTA update. I did make a backup file and save it to my PC before I did anything. But, now adb is suddenly not recognizing that the device is connected so I can't push any files to it.

Hi,
As per my understanding you're using the command "adb devices" in fastboot mode. That doesn't work. adb only works when the phone has booted up properly and running your ROM. To work in fastboot mode, you need fastboot commands. e.g. to see if you're device is connected or not, once you put the device in fastboot mode and connect it to the computer type: "fastboot devices"

As for pushing the ROM by using adb just follow this guide (you'll need to boot into the custom recovery and select the "push files from adb sideload"

[HOW-TO] ADB Push a ROM to your phone - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Ah, thank you for clearing that up about adb. When I check with fastboot devices it shows my phone. All is well there.

Tried the sideload approach and thought I might be out of the woods for a second, but then the rom install failed/aborted.

Can you make anything of this?

DNA-CWM-Screen-Shot-01.jpg

Upvote 0
I believe i have bricked my htc dna. Its stuck on a black htc screen with triangles in each corner. I cant access recovery are anything for that matter. This all started when i flashed a custom rom called "clockworkmod" which i flashed successfully. I noticed after i flashed it that there was 13gb of space being calculated in my "other" field when i went to see my storage info. I then researched and found out that the clockworkmod was some how duplicating the operating system and thats the reason why the "other" field was showing over 13gb. I then flashed another custom rom to attempt to fix this issue called "twrp" this flash also was successful but the issue wasnt fixed, so out of stupidity and lack of knowledge i then went into twrp and choose to wipe data not knowing that this would totally wipe my entire operating system. Now i was at a point were i couldnt do anything but load into bootloader( s-0ff and unlocked) and also recovery (twrp) so then i started digging in deeper and found out i could flash the factory rom via ruu (if i could find one for 4.4.2 kit kat) which i was unable to do for days. Then i finally found a factory rom for 4.4.2 kit kat but it didnt have the boot image. So when i flashed it i got the black htc screen and the status bar would fill all the way up and that was it....it would never move off of that screen. So i found out that there wasnt a full factory rom available for the 4.4.2 kit kat with the boot image. So once again out of stupidity and lack of knowledge i thought i was using common sense by taking one of my multiple boot image zip files and dragging it into the zip file of the rom that didnt have the boot image( i thought that was logical) which i guess it wasnt because now i cant even get into bootloader or recovery and my cpu wont detect my phone i cant do any command prompts are anything. What can i do? Is this considered a "bricked phone"? Can anyone help me?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones