• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Stuck in CWM Please help!!!

So I tried to flash a new Rom called SOKP 4.4.4 and when I did, I got an error saying there was an error with the set_metadata_recursive and the installation was aborted. So, I tried to reboot the system but I keep getting redirected to the CWM. I tried wiping the data, cache, format the system, but nothing works. I can't even connect the phone to my computer to download anything to it. Please, anyone, help!

What do you mean you can't connect the phone to the computer? Should be able to connect it while in recovery at least. If this device has a removable sdcard, try pulling it and use a card reader to place a working rom onto it and then flash that.

It's not going to boot since you've wiped it.

Like, I connect the cable to the computer and phone, but I don't get any response. It's like my computer isn't reading the phone or I'm unable to connect my phone to the computer.

Upvote 0
Ok, well how about the idea of removing the sdcard (still don't know if you have one) and place a working rom on it with a card reader? That way you don't even need a usb connection to the phone.

What you do need is a microsd adapter sleeve:

Z
TransFlash%20and%20%20Micro%20SD.jpg

If you happen to have a usb card reader great, otherwise maybe you have a laptop or PC with a built in sdcard reader? Download a good rom and transfer it on to the card, then place card back into phone. Use external key combo (not sure what your is) to access recovery, and flash the rom.

You can buy a usb card reader from Walmart or similar for around $10:

Gear Head CR4200 23-in-1 Card Reader - USB 2.0, 480 Mbps, Micro SD, T-Flash, SD: Cameras & Camcorders : Walmart.com

Cheap insurance for rom flashing and handy to have around for these circumstances.

If you somehow have access to none of that, then you can use the android sdk, specifically adb to push a rom to the phone. I think you'll get recognition while in recovery. You may have to install an adb/fastboot driver for your device however. The Koush Universal adb driver works for a lot of devices, might try that.

What you want to see in windows device manager is something called "adb interface" or similar wording while your phone is plugged into the PC and in recovery. That means you'd be good to use adb commands. If you go this route and don't already have adb access, install our forum's mini sdk which contains only adb and fastboot as it's a small download. The full android sdk is large and not as easy to install. Unzip the sdk-tools.zip at the bottom of the linked post to the root of your "C" drive for best results.

Reactions: xdrc45
Upvote 0
Ok, well how about the idea of removing the sdcard (still don't know if you have one) and place a working rom on it with a card reader? That way you don't even need a usb connection to the phone.

What you do need is a microsd adapter sleeve:

Z
TransFlash%20and%20%20Micro%20SD.jpg

If you happen to have a usb card reader great, otherwise maybe you have a laptop or PC with a built in sdcard reader? Download a good rom and transfer it on to the card, then place card back into phone. Use external key combo (not sure what your is) to access recovery, and flash the rom.

You can buy a usb card reader from Walmart or similar for around $10:

Gear Head CR4200 23-in-1 Card Reader - USB 2.0, 480 Mbps, Micro SD, T-Flash, SD: Cameras & Camcorders : Walmart.com

Cheap insurance for rom flashing and handy to have around for these circumstances.

If you somehow have access to none of that, then you can use the android sdk, specifically adb to push a rom to the phone. I think you'll get recognition while in recovery. You may have to install an adb/fastboot driver for your device however. The Koush Universal adb driver works for a lot of devices, might try that.

What you want to see in windows device manager is something called "adb interface" or similar wording while your phone is plugged into the PC and in recovery. That means you'd be good to use adb commands. If you go this route and don't already have adb access, install our forum's mini sdk which contains only adb and fastboot as it's a small download. The full android sdk is large and not as easy to install. Unzip the sdk-tools.zip at the bottom of the linked post to the root of your "C" drive for best results.
Do you have any tutorial video or step by step instructions on how to do all of this? Thanks for the help

Upvote 0
Well I kinda gave step by step intructs for the sdcard removal method. If you are referring to using our mini sdk (and adb) instead then let me know and yeah I can provide step by step instructs for that.
Yeah I'm definitely referring to using the mini sdk and adb bro if you gave me the step by step instructions that would be great

Upvote 0
Go to THIS post and download the sdk-tools.zip near the bottom of the post. Unzip that to the root of your PC's "C" drive so you end up with a regular folder there called sdk-tools. If you look in there you'll see the adb and fastboot binaries along with some other stuff.

Download and install the Koush Universal driver to your PC.

Now go into recovery mode on your phone (not yet plugged in). Open device manager on the PC. Expand all the categories in device manager so you can see everything and all their subcategories. Now while watching device manager, plug the phone into the PC. Does ANYTHING show up? Including "unknown device"? Again, you want to see something called "adb interface" show up. If not, reboot the PC with the phone still hooked into the usb port and in recovery mode. Upon reboot, check device manager yet again to see if anything relating to "adb interface" is showing now.

If not, try THIS instead. It's a program called PDAnet which comes packaged with adb drivers. You likely don't even have to run the program, we'd just hope that when you plug in the phone in recovery mode, those drivers will auto apply. Again check for "adb interface" in device manager and again, if it doesn't work, try rebooting PC while phone still hooked up and in recovery mode. Then check device manager after reboot.

If neither of those driver packages (koush or pdanet) work, then we'll have to do some serious head scratching to find you one that does. I'll assume by now you DO have a working adb interface...

So with a working adb interface, download a known working custom rom to your PC. I can't help you with this part as I don't know your device. I assume XDA Developers may have a rom for you. One that's based on stock would be a great option if one exists. Place the rom (zip) into the sdk-tools folder on the root of your "C" drive.

Your phone should now be plugged into the PC and in recovery mode. Now open command prompt on your PC and enter the following commands:

cd c:\ sdk-tools

then...

adb devices

Watch your phone's screen closely now. You may get a popup asking you about authorization. If so, tick the checkbox to "always allow" and then accept. This authorizes your PC to use adb from here on out.

Now on the command prompt window, following the adb devices command, you will ideally see your phone's ID (string of numbers/letters) show up followed by the word "recovery". If that's the case, perfect. If not, you may want to try an adb reboot recovery command to be sure. That should reboot straight back to recovery and just let's you know you are for SURE ready to rock.

Now on command prompt, from the same location of c:\ sdk-tools directory, you will adb push the rom with this command:

adb push name_of_rom.zip /sdcard/

(where name_of_rom is the exact name of your downloaded rom)

It will take awhile to push, then you should see some stats that it pushed the file of x size and it took x seconds to do so. That means it's done.

Now you can unplug from usb and flash the rom in recovery as usual.

Upvote 0
Awesome broski, thanks for the help! Now all I need to do is find a good ROM for my LG Optimus L9 P769. Got any suggestions?

Hello Bigboss305,
Unfortunetly the newer versions of the L9's bootloader has been encrypted by LG... Making it virtually impossible to unclock the bootloader and to flash any custom ROMs and or kernels. Unless you have an early model before the encryption and your bootloader is unlocked then yes is is possible to flash custom ROMs... Although KitKat/CM ROM require a specific Custom recovery version than the JB custom ROMs.

With that being said, if your bootloader isn't unlocked than NO you cannot flash any custom ROMs or kernels. Doing so will brick your L9 and cause the dreded "Security Error".
The only option for the L9 with Locked BL's is to flash a stock modified ROM... Like the Kumakan ROM found here - [ROM] Kumakan - Modified Stock | LG Optimus L9 P760, P765, P768, P769 | XDA Forums
This is an awesome ROM. Stabile, fast and has great features plus some exposed modules built in... It's also the one I use on my L9.

To flash the Kumakan ROM it only requires that the L9 is rooted and has the artas L9 recovery installer install (which installes a CWM version, again this version can only be used for making nandroid backup and restores and flashing some L9 compatible .zips for unlocked bootloaders)

To root the L9 you can do it easily with Cydia Imapctor found here -Cydia Impactor

I Like Cydia because it doesn't install a foreign superuser app to the device that you then have to override with SuperSU and then uninstall the foreign superuser app.... It simply roots the device then you can just install SuperSU from the Google play store.
You now have root!

To install the L9 recovery just follow Swainsmith82's excellent guide here - http://androidforums.com/optimus-l9-all-things-root/791293-guide-recovery-stock-l9-locked-bl.html#post6245156
I highly recommend that immediately after booting into recovery for the first time, that you make a stock nandroid backup of your device before rebooting back into the system... in case something happens or in the event that you receive the "Encrypting Phone" error. To recover from that simply reboot back into recovery and restore your stock nandroid backup and you'll be fine to continue.

Once root and the L9 recovery is installed... You can then flash the Kumakan ROM by simply following the directions in his ROM thread.

If you need any help or have any questions feel free to ask!

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
I've downloaded a Rom called PACrom 4.2 but wanted to download another because it felt a little laggy.

OK, So your bootloader is unlocked then... That's good!
The error you got when you tried to install the 4.4.4 ROM - "set_metadata_recursive and the installation was aborted", was probably due to an incompatible recovery version that you currently have installed on your L9.
Did it also give a "Status 7 error"?

For example CM10/CM11 based ROMs and etc... Require a certain recovery version and you would need to update your recovery to flash those ROMs.
Take a look here to get a better idea and understanding- [COLLECTIONS]CostumRom and Recovery | LG Optimus L9 P760, P765, P768, P769 | XDA Forums

Hope this helps! :thumbup:

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
I guess it was because I had an incompatible recovery because I did receive that status 7 error. i just have one question, does anyone know how to delete the roms I tried to push from my phone with factory resetting my phone again? I tried to push another incompatible rom that was about 200 and now it's taking up space on my internal storage and I don't know how to delete it. Any ideas? Anyone?

Reactions: xdrc45
Upvote 0
I guess it was because I had an incompatible recovery because I did receive that status 7 error. i just have one question, does anyone know how to delete the roms I tried to push from my phone with factory resetting my phone again? I tried to push another incompatible rom that was about 200 and now it's taking up space on my internal storage and I don't know how to delete it. Any ideas? Anyone?

Lol... Yeah these L9's are something else, between the bootloaders, recovery's and all the different models/variants and KDZ's! :rolleyes:

Anyway to clear up some space or ROMs that you've loaded into the storage.
Download an app like "Root Browser" from the playstore. Then open the app and look in the root folder of "/sdcard/" and in the "/sdcard/download" folder and see if there are any ROMs or other files in there that you may have downloaded and/or you don't need.

You'll have full system access with the app so be very careful with what you delete or even move.
Also if you have a few nandroid backup's they will hog up a lot of space so keep only the nandroid backups that you need and are necessary to have stored on the device. I always keep a stock nandroid and a most current nandroid backup stored on my device. Preferably saved on the external SD card, since the L9 has limited internal storage (There's an option in the backup menu to backup and save to the SD card) Any others I keep saved on my PC.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones