1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root stuck in cwm recovery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by theth1rdman, May 24, 2011.

1. theth1rdman

theth1rdman Lurker
    None

May 24, 2011
    So. I was trying to update my fascinate with a froyo rom. Superfrankenclean 2.8 to be exact. I'd had the phone rooted and such as when I first got it I put a clean stock version on it. I booted in CwM Recovery and followed to the instructions to install it via sd. Everything appeared to be going fine but when I went to reboot the system I returned to the red CwM recovery menu and haven't been able to escape it. I tried a factory wipe and looked into using odin to flash it back to stock but odin keeps telling me to check the image files... thats pretty much where I'm stuck.

Help me get my phone back please!

Advertisement

2. atomD21

atomD21 Member
    None

Dec 9, 2010
    Ohio
    First off, Frankenclean 2.8 is no longer supported, so I would caution against using that ROM. I would go with Community ROM, if it were me. As for the image files, I would try downloading the DL09 file from this thread:
    [Howto] Get to ED01 (Official Froyo) Quickly - Android Forums

And then using the stock recovery to get you up to ED01 if you can't OTA (some people are having that issue...). After that, ODIN CWM and flash your ROM of choice.

theth1rdman likes this.
  3. theth1rdman

theth1rdman Lurker
    None

May 24, 2011

That's what I'm trying to do currently. I download a one-click odin patcher and ran that but it's just sitting there giving me.

<ID:0/004> Added!!
    <ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
    <ID:0/004> Master Clear Started.....

Bleh...

Thanks for the response though. I'll read through the first howto you sent and see if that clears things up. Any additional support is greatly appreciated.

4. theth1rdman

theth1rdman Lurker
    None

May 24, 2011
    Oh also when I tried to mount the SD card so I could see if the community rom worked better it was mounting as a read only cd drive. Not sure what to do with that. This was all earlier in the day before I gave up and went to work.

5. atomD21

atomD21 Member
    None

Dec 9, 2010
    Ohio
    For some reason, the Fascinate was doing that after the EA28 update up until the ED01 OTA. It will show up first as a CD drive, then about a minute later, the option to connect USB storage shows up on your phone, allowing you access to the SD card. I would also recommend trying to get a micro SD card reader or SD adapter so you can put files on it without the phone in cases like this.

6. theth1rdman

theth1rdman Lurker
    None

May 24, 2011
    Am I right in thinking that I can't get out of cwm recovery because the new rom didn't install correctly or completely?

I had/have a micro sd reader. Can't find it for the life of me lol.

7. fstbusa

fstbusa Member
    None

Jan 8, 2011
    Its not that you are stuck in CWM, its that your Rom is likely jacked up and will not allow your phone to boot so the only other option is to boot into recovery.

Kinda like your windows computer, if the windows software is jacked, your computer will just stop at the system startup info and never get into windows.

ODIN is simple to use.... Just google ODIN 1.3 and find a zip to download. Take battery out of your phone, hold the volume dn key as you plug the usb cable in.

This should bring you into download mode. Then open ODIN and verify one of the boxes in the upper left is yellow. Then use the PDA, I repeat, PDA key to select your file and then hit start....

When it completes it will shut your phone down. Unplug and put the battery back in. I would first try pushing this file and see if you can get it back running. Index of /files/stuff

good luck.

theth1rdman likes this.
  8. atomD21

atomD21 Member
    None

Dec 9, 2010
    Ohio
    If your phone keeps going back to CWM, yeah, the ROM install is bad. Since you are familiar with ODIN, I would second the recommendation to use the link fstbusa posted and donwload the DL09 stock ROM to ODIN on your phone. It will wipe everything else out and allow your phone to reboot. It will be at stock, but you can then OTA to ED03 and then ODIN CWM and redownload and install a ROM again.

9. theth1rdman

theth1rdman Lurker
    None

May 24, 2011
    I think my problem with odin was that I was trying to use the multiloader version. It seems to be working now!! Delicious Froyo.

Thanks so much!

10. fstbusa

fstbusa Member
    None

Jan 8, 2011
    Good deal... good to hear you have it working.