• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stuck in reboot loop!!!

Good lordalmighty.... my boot loops started today.

I had wifi on and fastboot on and lte/cdma on.

My work does not have WIFI (we are not allowed to connect)... might be that connection issue y'all are talking about.

I had the weather live wallpaper going, which does seem to freeze up on occasion but has never caused a boot loop. Was considering doing without the live wallpaper just to keep from being annoyed by the occasional live wallpaper freeze.

Was finally able to bootup successfuly w/ the extended battery back off. I have the stock SD card and stock everything (except the extended batter and back).

Even though I have come to work for a week w/ this wifi not being available thing, today is the first time I had the boot loop.

As an analyst for large computing systems, my experience tells me that IF you can boot w/ the back off... but it starts to loop with it on... then DUH... there is something wrong with the hardware or firmware... something about that back antenna and it trying to connect to wifi.

I just turned my wifi off and the fast reboot off (cuz it was on before) and the SECOND I put the back back on, it is now rebooting itself mercilessly. Poor little thing.

guess I'll go to the verizon store and hope the person behind the counter knows about the problem. I just LOVE going to the store during xmas season.....I LOVE waiting in line w/ 10000000 people.

P.S. can SOMEONE please post HOW to do a factory reset? Not that that is what I want to do at this point... but I totally can't find a "reset" button anywhere... unless its a series of other button pushes (power, volume). thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Good lordalmighty.... my boot loops started today.

I had wifi on and fastboot on and lte/cdma on.

My work does not have WIFI (we are not allowed to connect)... might be that connection issue y'all are talking about.

I had the weather live wallpaper going, which does seem to freeze up on occasion but has never caused a boot loop. Was considering doing without the live wallpaper just to keep from being annoyed by the occasional live wallpaper freeze.

Was finally able to bootup successfuly w/ the extended battery back off. I have the stock SD card and stock everything (except the extended batter and back).

Even though I have come to work for a week w/ this wifi not being available thing, today is the first time I had the boot loop.

As an analyst for large computing systems, my experience tells me that IF you can boot w/ the back off... but it starts to loop with it on... then DUH... there is something wrong with the hardware or firmware... something about that back antenna and it trying to connect to wifi.

I just turned my wifi off and the fast reboot off (cuz it was on before) and the SECOND I put the back back on, it is now rebooting itself mercilessly. Poor little thing.

guess I'll go to the verizon store and hope the person behind the counter knows about the problem. I just LOVE going to the store during xmas season.....I LOVE waiting in line w/ 10000000 people.

P.S. can SOMEONE please post HOW to do a factory reset? Not that that is what I want to do at this point... but I totally can't find a "reset" button anywhere... unless its a series of other button pushes (power, volume). thanks in advance.

I'm an analyst for a big systems entity too. I like to view my "doodies" before I flush, to make sure the plumbing's fine :p

Have you tried taking out your SD card, powering up the device, seeing if it reboots, and then shutting it off and then re-inserting the SD card? Mine was rebooting constantly and I pulled the SD card and the SIM card, powered it on, let it sit blinking that it needed a SIM card at me for awhile, then I powered it back off and threw in the SIM card and powered it on, then threw in the SD card (I may have done it in the opposite order). Once I did that, the reboots stopped. I figure it's something on the SD card going out to the network and the network is either sending out a reboot command or the O/S is just crashing.

To restore, power off the phone, and when you power it back on, you hold the down volume (I believe) and the power button. You'll get a menu to perform a restore/fastboot, etc.

Reactions: soccermom17540
Upvote 0
Few things... There is no "fix" as of yet. VZW and HTC still don't know WHY it's happening. I was with Flextronics for 3 years, and VZW now 2, and let me expound on a few things....

First, reps vary. Some are geeks, like me. Like many of us who come here. Others are just collecting a check, and have no knowledge beyond basic TS of a phone, and sometimes not even that. Some will go the extra mile when helping a customer, others do the bare minimum.

In store, we get BARELY any tech support training. VZW doesn't want store reps doing it, so they give us some basic steps, show us how to do hard resets, and there you go. If it doesn't work, call tech support. THEY get all the training. Some reps only care about commision, and will barely even do level one. Others will look on google, look things up online (yes even the forums here), will ask co-workers, all kinds of things. But most won't. It's just not what they want us to focus on in store. That's what tech support is for.

Now, the forums the previous person spoke of are cool. It's basically a VZW only message board. Biggest problem is that they aren't publicized, nor covered in training. I think of the 14 people in my store, 3 of us even know how to get to them. It's just not given much attention, as they don't want us doing TS in store.

This issue is still being investigated, no idea what is happening. They don't tell us lowly reps what the status is, just when a solution is found. I posted this morning, as my phone went bat-sh*t this morning. Took 15 minutes to get it to stay on. ONly way is with the battery cover off. AS soon as I put it back on, Poof! The "fix" listed in that thread is the same as I posted earlier... Bat out, Sim out, turn on, switch to CDMA/LTE, re-install. Except that didn't work this AM for me. So, unfortunately, no fix.

As to in store replacements: This is policy. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but this is how it goes... Within your first 14 days, if your phone is DOA, you get a new in box replacement, from store stock. After 14 days, we order you a CLNR. Period. No arguments, no way around it. They have locked down the system so tight, there is no way around it. We haven't had CLNR phones in stock since last year, so all phones are ordered. As much as it sucks to possibly get a refurb, that's how it goes.

Now remember, with a phone so new, there aren't that many to refurb, so you actually have a pretty good chance at getting a new. I had to have my TBolt replaced 2 months after I got it, and got a new instead of a CLNR, so there's always hope.

Anyway, I hope this helped some. I'll keep an eye on the forum, and if we get anything new to post, I'll let y'all know.

Reactions: cannadroid6203
Upvote 0
I think this may solve your issues:

Read a post about this issue in xda forums here:
**Bootlooping Network Problem *FIX INSIDE* - xda-developers

this WORKED! anyone who has this issue please do the following: (source Rezound Stuck in Boot Loop)

*#*#4636#*#* Under phone info you will find that the network is factory set to WCDMA Preferred... I guess the SIM card decides sometime along the way that it doesn't like that much... Setting the network to CDMA EVDO/LTE - Auto completely corrects the problem

another poster said that after you do this, hit home, power down the phone, pull sim card out, put it back in, then reset it. i didn't do this; i just went back, put the battery cover on, it froze like usual, reset itself, and now it's working perfectly. holy hell this god damn phone just gave me a heart attack!

for some reason, this is what happens: under phone info, as it says, it will reset to WCDMA Preferred for NO reason whatsoever! this must have happened when i shut my phone down; other people are reporting that doing "reboot" does this frequently for them! this is the first time in my month of ownership i saw this happen, so this was new to me...but thankfully, we have a fix!
Hope this works for you guys!

Upvote 0
Sorry. I mentioned in one of my previous posts, there is an internal VZW forum. It's employee only, where we can share issues with phones, tips, troubleshooting, etc. It can't be accessed outside the store, and even if it could, you still have to have log ins. Anyway, it's modded by tier 3 tech support supervisors. They've let us know that MR 1 will address this issue, tentatively scheduled for late Jan release. I'll check if the actual software version is posted at work tomorrow, if anyone needs that.

Upvote 0
Sorry. I mentioned in one of my previous posts, there is an internal VZW forum. It's employee only, where we can share issues with phones, tips, troubleshooting, etc. It can't be accessed outside the store, and even if it could, you still have to have log ins. Anyway, it's modded by tier 3 tech support supervisors. They've let us know that MR 1 will address this issue, tentatively scheduled for late Jan release. I'll check if the actual software version is posted at work tomorrow, if anyone needs that.
Ah, I'd missed that. Thanks c0wboi, I appreciate your early heads-up.

Then again my greedy side says screw MR1, just give us ICS already! ;)

Upvote 0
mine starting looping today :( After freaking out and doing multi battery pulls with no luck I got on here. I follow what one said about removing the sim card. It worked to where I could fix it. I pulled the sim turned it on and went into mobile networks and turned it to lte/cdma. I re-installed the sim and it works now :) I did try leaving it on cdma only and just setting sense as default home with fast boot off and had no luck. But what I realized was that the phone was fine with the Sim out. I'm going to verizon today to try and get a new card. My house is in a bad location for verizon, I'm right in between 3G,1X, and EXT 4G so yea and work is 3G only. So I set mine to cdma so its not searching for 4g and killing my battery, really hope this isnt going to be an issue that goes unresolved

Upvote 0
I am so glad I read this today at work.... I had a few minutes and was checking the device forums. Happened to read the post for this. Not 5 minutes ago my own Rezound started the boot looping issue. I had set the device to 3g only as I don't live in a lte market....

Fix is as follows:
Pull bat, remove sim card. Power on, device should fully start and go into emergency mode. Set it back to cdma/lte
Menu<settings<wireless&networks<mobile networks<network mode<lte/cdma

Power off phone, sim card back in and you should be good. I'm just worried what's gonna happen to my awesome battery life now....

Ill post tomorrow after I run into work and add my phone to the thread. I think they said a MR is in the works....let you guys know!

It was that's how i fixed mine. And im in the same boat

Upvote 0

So you're saying there will be a software update to fix this reboot loop?

Upvote 0
My phone only did this once. I got the update and it hasn't done it. Although for a few minutes after the download it wouldn't upload my photo gallery! I removed the battery and usb card and reinstalled. Everything works perfectly. We'll see about that 1X issue though... which is the only issue I have with this phone. Well that and data network handoff slowness (4G to 3g to WIFI, etc. sometimes takes longer than it should)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones