1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Stuck in some Android loop, need some help!

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Sami Arch, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Sami Arch

Sami Arch Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2016
    Male
    Hey guys,

Few days ago I dropped my Samsung Galaxy S4, now my screen is broken as well as the digitizer. meaning the screen is black and the touch is not working in any way, although the device is perfectly functioning.

I used an OTG cable with help from a keyboard to unlock the device and retrieve all my data which is great!.. however I still need to do some app data backups and retrieve preferences and stuff.. the first thing that came to mind is to mirror the phone screen on my laptop but it's never easy as it sounds, so here's the situation:

- Screen mirroring apps won't work because USB debugging mode is turned OFF.
    - adb can't recognize the device. I guess it's due to USB debugging thing.
    - My phone is NOT rooted.

I am trying to find a way to manually enable USB debugging, I don't know if it's pre-enabled in recovery or not since my phone is not rooted. So I need to backup app preferences by accessing the device or screen-mirroring, or by any other method.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

Advertisement

2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    This is diverting a bit from your USB debugging inquiry but since your phone is still functional except for the display there's a remote chance maybe it's just a matter of the screen connector just needs to be re-seated? In the link below, step 13 there's a picture of the connector, try disconnecting and pressing it back into place to see if your display will work again.
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+S4+Display+Assembly+Replacement/16540

3. Lelouch_xiv

Lelouch_xiv Newbie
    None

Mar 13, 2014
    Male
    Student
    Nippon
    Have you tried Smart Switch?

4. Sami Arch

Sami Arch Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2016
    Male
    The screen is smashed, I would be surprised if it worked for that reason, I really don't think it's a matter of screen connectors. anyway I will try that method, it's far-fetched though.. thanks

No I have not. please keep in mind that I don't want and items transferred from my device as I already did that.
    Thank you

Any other suggestions? :saddroid:

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

Samsung SideSync. AFAIK it doesn't need USB debugging on. Get it installed on your phone, and on your PC. Default app settings is to automatically connect. Your phone will be then mirrored on the PC.