1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Stuck now with Nougat?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jeremy Pierce, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Jeremy Pierce

Jeremy Pierce Lurker
    None

Apr 16, 2015
    Male
    Cook
    Mansfield, Texas
    So I have the J7 (SM-J700P) with Boost Mobile. I had it rooted up until I heard about the Nougat update. So, to get the update I had to unroot so it could OTA it. So I did and yes maybe I should have done a little research first but I checked out Nougat which I must say I do actually like defiantly in comparison to Marshmallow which I hated more than I can put into words. Then I wanted to again, root my device. Maybe some of you are like stop right there. Yes, I know now...the best things I have ever learned about rooting is making a mistake, lol. I won't make the same mistake twice that's for sure. Anyway, I end up pretty much soft bricking it but luckily I was able to get the Nougat files and just used ODIN to install and now I am back to Nougat 7.1.1 but I cannot root, or can I? I think I can, just not sure how yet. So now, when I go to root with ODIN it fails. Here is what both ODIN and phone read. Any ideas?

odinpic.jpg odinreadout.jpg

Advertisement

2. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Did you use the same files which you used to root in the first place? I know on my s8 that the bootloader got updated and the old root files wouldn't work. Maybe see if the file to root the recovery or kernel has been updated to match the firmware. If worse comes to worse flash back to marshmallow with Odin, root again and then flash a custom Nougat ROM in recovery

3. Jeremy Pierce

Jeremy Pierce Lurker
    None

Apr 16, 2015
    Male
    Cook
    Mansfield, Texas
    No updated root file. Gonna have to wait for it I guess. Can't even go back to marshmallow

4. James L

James L Android Expert

Dec 29, 2014
    Male
    Owner root-android-easy.com
    Peoria Il
    Jeremy, i saw your message via hangouts it's been a insanely busy week.

I think i may have an answer. Message or email me and we can conversate and see if it'll work.

5. Heckerpead

Heckerpead Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 3, 2012
    Male
    Always
    Florida, Usa
    Did you figure it out? I am rooted on Nougat. I used Odin to flash twrp-3.2.1-0-j7ltespr.img from twrp site and I had to uncheck auto-reboot in the options tab in Odin. Then I just rebooted the phone to twrp recovery manually. I flashed an earlier version of SuperSU (2.4something I think) first and it got stuck on the boost screen. I rebooted back to recovery and it did a installing update and then just went back to stock recovery. Flashed twrp again and factory reset and wipe and then flashed the newest version SuperSU-v2.82-201705271822 and didn't choose the permanently install option twrp gives you when you reboot. It rebooted a few times and the it booted fine and had root.

RohaWaRohaMenther likes this.
  6. Heckerpead

Heckerpead Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 3, 2012
    Male
    Always
    Florida, Usa
    You are using the wrong Twrp. You the one in my above post.

7. Bee1

Bee1 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 20, 2013
    Male
    staying monetary fit!
    Los Angeles, Ca
    After Nougat update phone will not boot. Odin fails auth. May I have a copy of Nougat .tar.md5 for sm-j700p. As of now I have no OS on my phone and I just lost twrp recovery.

8. Jeremy Pierce

Jeremy Pierce Lurker
    None

Apr 16, 2015
    Male
    Cook
    Mansfield, Texas
    ok so I have root but with Magisk. However, I want Xposed. Problem is I do not have TWRP. I can install it through Odin but whenever I do, it will no longer go back into the OS. Just reboots back to TWRP every time. Had to completely reinstall Nougat then re root with Magisk so I am back to where I was. Any ideas why I cannot get TWRP to install properly so I can get back into my operating system? I need TWRP to run Xposed so I have really no other options if I want Xposed. HELP!!!!???

9. Bee1

Bee1 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 20, 2013
    Male
    staying monetary fit!
    Los Angeles, Ca
    If you still having problems, you have to do a quick battery pull as soon as Odin finish flashing twrp and before phone start booting. Then vol up , on/off and home buttons together to boot to twrp, make a backup ,than reboot thru twrp