1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Stuck on boot screen every time I turn phone off..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 3g Slide, Sep 15, 2011.

1. 3g Slide

3g Slide Newbie
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    I know you have to wipe cache. Im talking about when I wipe the cache, install the google apps and restart, its fine. But when I go to Titanium Backup and restore all my stuff THEN turn it off or reboot I get stuck on the boot screen? Whats going on??! I've started over like 6 times this is ridiculous. Whats happening when I restore that's causing this to happen?

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Are you restoring system apps, user apps or everything?

3. 3g Slide

3g Slide Newbie
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    by system apps do you mean the apps that came with HTC? or 'bloatware'(4th day on Android)

I am trying to restore my user apps though

4. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    The apps that came with the phone/bloatware. System apps are classed as anything you haven't installed yourself.

What ROM are you trying to install?

3g Slide likes this.
  5. 3g Slide

3g Slide Newbie
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    Then no, I am not trying to install system apps. I am trying to use Cyanogenmod 7. I simply flash CM7 and google apps then when I try to restore my user apps with Titanium Backup is when the problems begin. I've only used Titanium to backup, I've never done a Nandroid backup. Not sure if there's a difference between the two.

6. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Try this, if you're linking to the same gmail account, the apps you've installed should re download themselves after a short time (30-60 mins). Let them do that, then just use Titanium to restore the data associated with the apps you want on an app by app basis.

Does that make sense and do you know how to do it?

Fair play to you for rooting after 4 days, it took me 6 months. :p

7. 3g Slide

3g Slide Newbie
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    I didnt know apps could come back like that. Is it okay to use ROM Manager to backup and Titanium Backup or should I just use one and stick to it? I think I backed up using 3 different apps being a noob and paranoid I was gonna brick my phone.

3days to root but I was trying day and night all 3 days to get it to finally work lol

8. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Ha, I know that feeling. When I did eventually get round to it, it did take me a fair while and wasn't without incident!

Apologies, I missed the backup question from your previous post. Titanium backs up your apps and associated data, whilst ROM Manager/clockwork will backup your entire phone (ROM included) and is referred to as a Nandroid backup.

Generally speaking, before you flash anything in ROM Manager/clockwork, take a nandroid backup. That way, if something fails in your new ROM and it won't load, you can just boot into clockwork manually, then restore a working backup from there.

3g Slide likes this.
  9. 3g Slide

3g Slide Newbie
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    That has to be the easiest explanation I've read in searching for that answer, thanks. So how do you backup your phone? Do you make one Nandroid Backup then use Titanium or other backup app there on out?

10. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    No problem, I'm happy to help!

I've various schedules set up throughout the week in Titanium, stuff like delete backups for installed apps, redo backups for newer versions of apps etc. Then on Sunday night, I've it set to run a full backup of all apps and data on the handset. If I flash a new ROM, I'll also do a full backup in TB beforehand. I'll then reboot into clockwork, do a nandroid backup, then flash my new ROM. If I run for a few days without any problems, I'll move the backup from the SD Card to a folder on my PC.

If I'm flashing a new kernel (different to a ROM, it's like the base layer of your OS and controls things like volume, WiFi strength and power consumption) or a theme, I'll just do a nandroid backup.

A lot of the time, if you're just updating to a newer version of your current ROM, you just need to do a nandroid as the update won't format the partitions of the phone which the user data resides on.

11. 3g Slide

3g Slide Newbie
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    ok, got it. Everything's starting to come together, the dots are starting to connect in my head lol. Two more questions if you could help me out.

1st about the cache, how often should I delete it and when?

2nd, what's the best way to make my phone run faster? I hear people overclocking but does that put too much strain on my phone over time?

12. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    When you flash a new ROM, wipe the cache partition and the dalvik cache from within clockwork. That's the only time I ever really do it. The jury is out on whether or not you're supposed to do it before a kernel flash, I don't bother and it's never done me any harm though.

I don't bother with overclocking, CM7 does enough for me at stock speeds so I just leave it be. You can overclock, but you need to watch for heat and stability. The handset is designed to run at a certain speed and running faster will shorten its life span.

What's the stock speed of the mytouch?

13. Cramill

Cramill Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Software Developer
    Arizona
    It's 600MHz MSM7227 Qualcomm processor. I thought I heard someone say that this processor is actually 800 but under-clocked at 600 or something like that... or maybe they were saying the upper limit of this phone is 800...

El Presidente likes this.