• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stuck on decision for new smartphone

Xhavius

Lurker
Jan 20, 2013
Hey guys, my contract with sprint ended a while ago. I'm still with them at the moment paying 80+bucks a month for a pretty old smartphone I had for a few years - HTC Hero. The phone is being buggy and not functioning properly. I decided I want to go for a prepaid, no contract plan. I want to get a fun smartphone mainly for apps/internet usage/gps, then next priority texting. I don't chat that much, could utilize google voice etc.

I was sold on going for the HTC EVO V 4G from Virgin Mobile. However, I saw reviews and such of the beautiful Nexus 4. Was thinking I could get that cheap 100 minute plan from t-mobile for 30ish bucks. However, I noticed that phone has been out of stock for a while. So what do you guys think? Get the VM HTC EVO phone and use that for a while? Or wait for the beautiful Nexus 4 phone? I plan on using said phone for hopefully a year(s) to come. I don't like how the Nexus has no room to upgrade memory though..

Thanks guys for any help.

The evo v 4g is nothing but an evo 3d sold by virgin mobile, so the phone is already old. However, rumors about a jellybean update are out there as the evo 3d was updated. I personally love the phone but I admit that I've looked at others just because of its age. Also this is my first HTC phone and I'm too afraid to root it so I'm stuck using HTC sense.

Upvote 0
Personally, I'd hold out for the Nexus 4. Beyond the fact there is a difference between a new phone and one released a year and a half ago, the Nexus 4 should also have faster data speeds -- even if you live in an area where you have Wimax available -- and use less battery to get those speeds. This becomes doubly true if you live in an area where Virgin Mobile/Sprint has very slow 3G speeds.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones