1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Stuck on Google logo (startup and recovery)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Daftyman, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Daftyman

Daftyman Lurker

Hi, my Nexus 7 was updated to KitKat 4.4.0 through an adb sideload. A day or so later I got an OTA that was 1-2Mb.

I tried to chard it through my car charger and it may have fried the device.

On startup I get the Google logo and then it hangs there. Meanwhile the CPU is heating up like a blow torch.

I can access the bootloaded (although sometimes this freezes) and scroll through the 4 options, however if I select Recovery Mode it hangs at the Google Logo (Power and Volume up have been pressed multiple times to no effect)

Again the CPU seems to be heating up to dangerous levels.

I cannot get the device to be seen by my PC (which it had been previously otherwise the ADB sideload could not have happened) I get no bedunk sound when connecting the USB cable.

Is the motherboard f- broken? I saw one of the moderators had a Nexus that seemed to be in this state and would ask directly, but as a new user I cannot do that.

Is there a way of recovering without recovery mode or ADB/Fastboot?

Would replacing the motherboard be a sure fire way to get a working tablet again?
    If so could I get a 32Gb one to replace the 16Gb one I have (WiFi model for both obviously)?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Daftyman

Daftyman Lurker

I should add that I am stock and unrooted. USB debugging was enabled. It might be turned off I can't remember.

Someone mentioned a reboot button through the headphone jack. Any truth in that?

3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

I'm not sure there's a reset button (I've certainly not seen it mentioned before anyway).

Have you tried multiple cables when connecting to the PC? Most of the potential solutions involve having the tab connected to your PC.

If it's getting hot, it might point to a hardware issue though.

Daftyman likes this.
  4. Daftyman

Daftyman Lurker

Hi, thanks for the reply. tried every cable I have and still no joy. another mod AntimonyER seemed to have the same issue so have PM'd him to ask how he got his fixed.

If I was to get a new motherboard (Google ASUS Nexus 7 ME370T 32GB Replacement Android 4.4 Motherboard #5026) courtesy of ebay, would you think that it would give me a working tablet again?

Losing the data from the old unit doesn't bother me as there was nothing on it that wasn't stored elsewhere.

5. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

It's been years since I messed around with the innards of a PC, let alone something smaller and more finicky like a tablet, so I wouldn't like to comment :p

If you're not fussed about losing data, one of the many benefits of living in Scotland is that thanks to EU law, we're covered by a 2 year warranty as standard so you might be better off RMA'ing it. :)

If Anti was in a similar situation, we'll see what he reckons.

Daftyman likes this.
  6. Daftyman

Daftyman Lurker

Thanks again. Unfortunately I cannot get any information about when the device was originally bought. It was a prize in an nVidia sponsored contest in the states. ASUS said that the factory warranty had run out. I cannot find any shipping forms either. I'm guessing that nVidia had a job lot and gave them away as prizes until they ran out.

It looks as if I would have had to purchase the thing in the EU/UK to get the 2-year warranty. Damn you google-fu!

I'll see if Anti replies to my PM. I'm not worried about not being able to replace the motherboard unit, but I am worried that it may not fix the problem and there is something else at fault too.

7. innosam

innosam Lurker

Hi Dafty, Were you able to get your nexus 7 fixed. I had same issue last week, the car charger seemed to have fried the device. And while charging, it got stuck at the google logo with cpu heating up.

8. Daftyman

Daftyman Lurker

Hi innosam,

Managed to get it fixed by ordering a new motherboard. There are some really good videos to help out. Watch a few before going ahead with it though.

It worked great and I even ordered the 32Gb board so I ended up with more storage. It was brilliant. Unfortunately managed to drop it on the kitchen floor and totally smashed the screen and wrecked the digitizer too.

Ordered a complete screen and digitizer and managed a serviceable replacement of that too. But that was really tricky.

I have had the screen go into a 'spasm' when plugging it in, but if you immediately unplug the device and press and hold the power button it should restart.

I must point out here that I had no warranty cover. If your warranty is still valid make use of that.