• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stuck on green Downloading screen (A71) (SOLVED)

odatkid

Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Hello,
Need some serious help. My A71 is Stuck on a green "Downloading" Screen and says "Do not disconnect USB Cable during the software update!" I did nothing to instigate this update. I have not put in the sim card yet nor setup a wireless connection. I wanted to get this phone rooted first. I waited an hour and tried to restart the phone but can't. I unplugged the USB cable and waited but the screen does not shut off. Once again I tried to restart by holding the button but can't do anything.
PLEASE Help appreciated

Tom

Hello,
Need some serious help. My A71 is Stuck on a green "Downloading" Screen and says "Do not disconnect USB Cable during the software update!" I did nothing to instigate this update. I have not put in the sim card yet nor setup a wireless connection. I wanted to get this phone rooted first. I waited an hour and tried to restart the phone but can't. I unplugged the USB cable and waited but the screen does not shut off. Once again I tried to restart by holding the button but can't do anything.
PLEASE Help appreciated

Tom
Okay, got it to restart. Not sure how. Volume up and Start
Welcome to Android Forums @odatkid :)

Could you provide further information. For instance, did you do anything that might have caused this issue?
I was trying to get the OEM Allow boot-loader to unlock even though it was not supposed to be locked. It's stuck on OEM unlocking switched off and greyed out in developer options. The phone is not affiliated with any carrier. It's a GSM Unlocked international version I purchased at Amazon. Probably sending it back. Seems like it has potential.
Thanks for the reply

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
Its possible that your carrier unlocked A71's OEM unlock is greyed out because there is no carrier to unlock. Perhaps, if you had the sim card inserted it would have not been greyed out. In addition, Samsung placed a 7 day waiting period after enabling developer options before allowing OEM unlock functions.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nerdsc...reyed-out-or-oem-unlock-disabled-problem/amp/

You could also let your phone discharge until it completely turns off, then try and boot into recovery.

1. push Volume Up and Power button for a couple of seconds.
  2. If the SAMSUNG Galaxy logo pops up let go of all keys.
If your able to boot into recovery look to see of you've triped you knox counter. If you decide to preform a hard reset, you should be aware of FRP as well as Samsung reactivation lock .

https://www.hardreset.info/factory-reset-protection/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply.
On my present phone (Galaxy S5) I was with MetroPCS until I purchased (Perhaps 2 years ago) a "Cricket" Sim card on Amazon. I simply switched sim cards and have been on "Cricket" after creating an account. It's been least two years with the Cricket account.
I just purchased the Galaxy A71 thinking I'll root the phone and get it configured to my liking before I insert the "Cricket" Sim card. But I can't get to the Root process because the A71's OEM unlock bootloader is greyed out in developer options.
Coincidentally , MrJava, I searched and found your "nerdschalk.com" and downloaded platform-tools_r30.0.4-windows, and in an Admin Command prompt typed: C:\platform-tools_r30.0.4-windows>adb first; then adb reboot bootloader (I think). Keep in mind the sim card has not been inserted & I have not connected to any network. That's when I got the green screen warning "don't remove USB cable while software is downloading". Waited a long time and figured out how to restart the phone. Now I'm back where I started.

Perhaps there's no boot loader and that's why it's greyed out?

Anyway I need to root this phone, if I can. I'm open to any and all ideas.

Thank you again, Tom

P.S. I just saw "Samsung placed a 7 day waiting period after enabling developer options before allowing OEM unlock functions." Perhaps I should wait it out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"don't remove USB cable while software is downloading".

adb reboot bootloader normally would get you into fastboot, but Sammy's don't use fastboot. That is "Odin mode" where you connect the phone to a PC running Odin or Heimdal (Linux) to flash firmware. I haven't rooted a Samsung phone since the S3 so I'm not sure what would be different.

"Samsung placed a 7 day waiting period after enabling developer options before allowing OEM unlock functions."

I wouldn't put it past them.

Reactions: ocnbrze and MrJavi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones