1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Stuck on opening screen after factory reset

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dazek, Jul 16, 2012.

1. dazek

dazek Member

Hi

I had my phone running fine with the Insertcoin ROM. I wanted to blank the phone to give it to my son (but keep the insertcoin rom).

I went to clockworkmod and did the factory reset (as i was told this wouldn't delete the ROM. The phone rebooted but is now stuck showing the 'coloured bubbles' wallpaper screen, the time, battery charge and signal strength and that is it.

Can anyone advise what has happened and what needs to be done?

Many thanks

Daz

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

A factory reset should not have affected the ROM. When you say "nothing else" you mean no dock as well? Can you get into the menus, add widgets?

To be honest though, those questions are partly just my curiosity. Because almost whatever the answer I'm going to suggest that you go back into recovery and reflash the ROM (i.e. just reinstall it - I assume you still have the ROM .zip somewhere). That should give you a blank InsertCoin install ready to hand over. If it doesn't then we'll look more deeply :)

3. dazek

dazek Member

Hi Hadron

Thanks for the reply. Yep - I have no menu, dock, widgets etc. Does this mean the OS is gone?

I don't know where the zip file is - I just tried to install zip in clockwork mod but it didn't find anything. I will have it on my computer somewhere. Does this mean I need to repartition the SD card? (I had a 1Gb partition on a 16Gb card for extra storage)

I did all this so long ago - going to have to do some reading up again!!!

Thanks for the help

Daz

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

You shouldn't have to repartition. The factory reset will have wiped the ext partition, but the partition will still be there.

You have an android OS, but clearly some bits of the ROM are missing.

Actually I do have one theory, but if so it means that you would need to be careful doing a factory reset from recovery with this ROM. I'm not a fan of Sense, so have no experience of this, but it makes sense to me:

These "advanced Sense" ROMs (any Sense version later than came on the Desire) are too large to fit in the phone, so part of the ROM is stored in the sd-ext partition. So how does CWM erase the sd-ext content? I have a feeling that it just formats sd-ext, but if it does that it will erase the part of the ROM that's on the ext partition too!

A factory reset from the phone's menu might be OK - Android doesn't know about sd-ext, so I'm guessing that it will wipe sd-ext by going through /data/app (where the links to sd-ext are) rather than directly deleting sd-ext. If it does that, it won't affect the ROM components stored there. But if CWM simply formats the partition then you cannot do a factory reset from recovery with this ROM unless you reflash the ROM afterwards.

There's one other possibility though: did you ever take a nandroid backup (make a backup from CWM) after installing this ROM? If so, go into CWM and restore it. If you can't remember, just try - worst it can do is say "no backups found". If that works you have your ROM back. You also have an old version of your apps and data, but try factory reset from the phone menu rather than recovery and that should do it.

Otherwise it's a matter of finding the ROM .zip and putting it back on the phone, or downloading a new copy of the ROM.

Good luck!

5. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Android Expert

I believe that to be true Hadron.

HTC Desire

Tags: