• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Stuck on white HTC splash screen after recovery

jontzeng

Lurker
Sep 3, 2011
I had orginally rooted my phone and was running htt p://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1160374 and then decided to flash a kernel called leanKernel but was messing with my phone so I ended up doing a nandroid recovery but now I'm stuck on the HTC splash page. Can anyone help me?

Have you recently updated clockwork? I've read some accounts of folks having trouble with 5.0.x.x restoring nandroids. If you have flashed a new cloockwork,or let rom manager update you,it may work to install an older clockwork and use that to restore your backup.

Other than that,don't use rom manager,if you are.

Try booting to clockwork recovery,wipe data/factory reset,wipe cache,and wipe dalvik cache. Try to restore a backup again,and let us know what happens. :)

Reactions: jontzeng
Upvote 0
Have you recently updated clockwork? I've read some accounts of folks having trouble with 5.0.x.x restoring nandroids. If you have flashed a new cloockwork,or let rom manager update you,it may work to install an older clockwork and use that to restore your backup.

Other than that,don't use rom manager,if you are.

Try booting to clockwork recovery,wipe data/factory reset,wipe cache,and wipe dalvik cache. Try to restore a backup again,and let us know what happens. :)

I am using 5.0.1.0 i believe. How should I get an older clockwork?
I did the wipes and tried to restore and then after that completed I rebooted and it still leads me to the HTC splash screen and then freezes for over 5 min

Upvote 0
Look at it this way... at least you're not bricked :)

Since we are being optimistic :D

At least you...

...don't have an iPhone
...are rooted
...are on VZW
...are not dead yet
...are a member of this great community
...are connected to the internets
...get to think of emo horse all you want
...have most if not all the body parts you were born with
...have likely stopped reading by this point
...are persistant if you are still reading my garbage text

Reactions: jontzeng
Upvote 0
i couldnt really post this earlier since i was driving, but heres the link to the hboot flashable thread on xda: [Recovery] ClockworkMod Recovery flashable from bootloader - xda-developers

you can find 5.0.0.8 there,but from the sounds of it its not going to help you. id reccomend making a "just in case" backup with cw 4.0.1.5 once you get everything set up again. at that point you could keep experimenting with the 5.0.x.x's if you want to.

Upvote 0
Okay, I have no idea what I'm doing.

I just rooted, and I have CWM Rom Manager installed on my phone. Through that app chose "backup ROM", thinking the first thing I should do is to back up the OEM ROM, and now the phone is stuck on the white HTC startup screen.

What should I do?

edit: nevermind, I'm all set.

Upvote 0
paxman,id avoid the use of rom manager outside of the originaly useing to flash clockwork(tho i wouldnt even use it for that now that we have hboot flshable recoveries)

jontzeng,if you check the first post of the xda thread i linked above,a clockwork 5.0.2.1 is out. if the prollem was with the "restore" part of the process, it may restore your old backup(id make sure you back up what you have now with a CW you know is working before checking,tho ;))

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones