• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root stuck on white start up screen evo4g WTF!!

can't get beyond the evo4g start up screen. i am told i'm not bricked because i can get to the hboot screen, but not beyond. literally stuck and can't figure this out. i think i flash a bad kernel, or something.

can you get to recovery? if so then you are still in good shape. try restoring a nandroid backup.

Upvote 0
can't get to recovery. every time i select recovery it freezes at the evo 4g screen.

do you have a card reader? if so then download this file:PC36IMG_RA_2.3.zip
1.rename it by deleting the" _RA_2.3" part of the name so that it is PC36IMG. do not add a zip to the name as windows hides extensions
2.tranfer the file over to the root (not in any folder) of the card via a card reader.
3.power off then press and hold power+vol down.
4.hboot should see the file and select yes to update
5.select no to not reboot
6.select recovery
7.wipe data, dalvik cache and cache
8.reboot.

or you can flash a rom as well in recovery.

Reactions: Mont1224
Upvote 0
Reactions: Mont1224
Upvote 0
ok thanks, will try that. what is mikg2.5? and is there any truth in batteries lasting 3 days with flashing certain kernels? that is what i was try to do when all this went south?

mikg2.5 is a sense 2.1 rom that has elements of sense 3.0 in it. it is the best stable stock looking rom in my opinion. here is the op on xda:[ROM] - [MikRoms] - [8/24/2011] - MikG v2.5 - Re-Engineered GB Sense 2.1 + 3.0 - xda-developers

as far as kernels go. it is always YRMV. what works for me may not work for you. there are only three gingerbread sense kernels that are out right now. the only way to know is to make a nandroid backup and try them out. i'm not to sure on 3 days though. for me the best rom/kernel combo was cm7/tiamat sbc kernel. i was able to go with 18-35 hours off charge with moderate to heavy usage consistently.

also if you have not already, i really recommend that you switch recoveries to amon ra2.3.

Upvote 0
i have to break from this session. errands to run. you were a big help. i did not see any support help like this for days, and my phone went down tues. i see several others with this same white screen issue. thank you very much. you got me to a point where i can manage now thanks again.

no worries. if you have any other questions, you know where to go and what to do.

Upvote 0
i was wondering if you could direct me to where i can get themes,skins,roms,kernels?? xda appears to be limited, or i am a moron noob. i know you had said there were only 3 gingerbread sense kernels, but i need to do something. i have the 3500mah battery, and on average i take it off the charger from overnight @7am. yesterday i took it off, and within an hour and a half it was @ 89 from 100 full charge. all i did was check my email, browse facebook for about 15-20 and that was it. no calls or texts. i took your advice and switched to ra v2.3, installed the mikg rom. i have read other posts with positive feedback about the mikg rom. i was able to download this golden monkey 1.1 kernel haven't flashed it yet. your advice and direction on where to go get the gingerbread kernels would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0
i was wondering if you could direct me to where i can get themes,skins,roms,kernels?? xda appears to be limited, or i am a moron noob. i know you had said there were only 3 gingerbread sense kernels, but i need to do something. i have the 3500mah battery, and on average i take it off the charger from overnight @7am. yesterday i took it off, and within an hour and a half it was @ 89 from 100 full charge. all i did was check my email, browse facebook for about 15-20 and that was it. no calls or texts. i took your advice and switched to ra v2.3, installed the mikg rom. i have read other posts with positive feedback about the mikg rom. i was able to download this golden monkey 1.1 kernel haven't flashed it yet. your advice and direction on where to go get the gingerbread kernels would be much appreciated.

a regular kernel doesnt give you a full 100% charge...even though it says it does, your only actually getting about a 90% charge...its like a safety feature so you dont possibly do damage to your phone or battery..SBC kernel will give you a full 100% charge and there is a possibility of it causing damage...although i have NEVER seen any reports of an SBC kernel to do either of them...

if your using mikg 2.5 here a couple links for some themes and mods...

[Theme] 09/01/11 TW671 Blue Glass (V2.5.3) for Mik 2.5 or <

[THEME] Wired | MikG v2.5 | rev3.7 | 8/30/11

the roms and kernels you can get in this link...

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/284413-roms-kernels-download-page.html

Upvote 0
i'm having 4g/wimax issues w/the mikg v2.5 rom any suggestions? any thing i should flash w/this rom to get it going?

what issues are you having? i never had any issues with mikg.

you can always try and update your radios. but if you do please read this:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...before-you-flash-your-radios-read-thread.html. now do not let the warnings scare you. it is just so you know what you are getting into. just make sure to have a nandroid backup with your wimax keys backed up and put it somewhere safe like your computer.

we just had another ota and we now have the latest radio combos: EVO Radio 2.15.00.08.08 WiMAX 27243 PRI NV 2.15 003.zip some people have reported better 3g signal. not sure if it will help with 4g or not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones