1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

STUCK, tether adb driver won't install? ROOT?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by judyq, Dec 27, 2012.

1. judyq

judyq Newbie

I am officially stuck! I have read as many posts as possible. I want to tether. Just got a 3rd $$ increase from comcast, went from $99 a month now at $140 PLUS Tax and fees! WT!! In ONE YEAR. SO, im pissed, they are taking advantage, and I want to tether, and cancel comcast!

I have LG Esteem MS910
    Version 2.3.4
    SW version ms910ZVD

I have downloaded 3 different tether apps for non rooted phones. None work. So far, i am working with "tether"

I have debugging selected
    i have tried usb as mass storage and as just power
    I have downloaded driver from LG, and from all the links suggested from the tether apps. I have uninstalled the drivers before installing new ones.

They don't appear in my device manager.

BUT, when I connect my phone to computer, it does connect. It is recognized, files can open, it shows up in device manager under drives.

Any suggestions???

This is just not working, i was going to root my phone (i did it a few years ago on a different phone , no prob, but see all the warnings about having to downgrade the sw version.

Can someone give me my options or tell me what I am missing? Thanks!!!

Computer is Windows 7.

Thanks!!!

judy

PS, I am savvy , just not totally tech savvy, so please be complete in your answer! Thanks!!! Especially bad with acronyms.

This is what the "Tether" log is telling me:

"You may need to install a driver for your phone to allow the computer to connect to it.
    Consult the menu above to install the "adb drivers" for your phone.
    If your manufacturer is not listed, please search Google for "adb drivers my-manufacturer name"

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Extreme Android User

If your not keen on rooting, just root the phone for the sake of tethering since that's what your most interested in. Rooting can be undone and isn't going to change anything on the phone. You will be able to install the best tether app and go about your way. :D

3. judyq

judyq Newbie

Does anyone have the same problem? And do i have to root? The driver just isn't showing up.

It should show up unrooted shouldn't it...

if I root, don't I have to downgrade and go through crap with version
    ZVD?

4. bnb25

bnb25 Android Expert

no you don't have to downgrade to root, I never have

5. Fuzzy13

I've heard of non root tether apps before but I've never seen one that works properly. Not to say there isn't one out there.

No you don't have to downgrade to root. If your phone's drivers are already installed on your PC then it takes about 5-10 minutes to run through the easy root process and most of that time is the phone rebooting.

Good luck ;)

6. judyq

judyq Newbie

Hi guys, Thanks for the advice. I ended up rooting and it worked YEAH.

Now I have another question about the user agent string...

I need to use IE on my computer in an online program which uses flash. I changed my UA string to Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; SCH-R910 Build/FROYO).

That blocked flash from working. There is also NO option to use Full website on the bottom and I know this website is not compatible with tablets/phones.

I changed back to the default UA and the website worked, then when I got into the area that used flash, I went to the User Agent String and Changed it to the Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; SCH-R910 Build/FROYO) AND IT WORKED!

So, can I enter the website using the default string and change it once in to avoid excessive detection or am I SOL? :thinking::rolleyes:
    Thanks in advance...

7. starstress

starstress Android Enthusiast

I feel you on the comcast *****. Same thing they've been doing to me

8. Fuzzy13

Which tether app are you using? I recommend wireless tether. It seems to be the popular choice among rooted tether users.

As far as the browser settings, I've never had to mess with any of that so I can't give any advice on that.

9. judyq

judyq Newbie

Thanks Fuzzy, I am using "tether" seems to work well, I tried a few. I will try wifi tether if this one quits on me. The hiding of browser I was talking about is http://androidforums.com/esteem-all-things-root/513784-how-hide-tethering-metropcs.html

Im canciling comcast today! Probably end up keeping wifi since I need it so badly, I can get tv all over the net if I really want it.

LG Esteem Forum

The LG Esteem release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews