• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help stuck white 3g icon, yet another kind of bionic data issue

p8ntballah21

Android Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2010
Ok so I have a somewhat unique 3g data issue on my Bionic than what I have not heard of yet.

Last night I installed 5.7.893 and everything seemed fine 3g and 4g were switching just fine. I have 4g at home and during my commute but at work I only get 3g. When I got to work this morning I noticed that it switched from a blue 4g icon to a white 3g icon and it just stayed there. It will go usually go to a blue 3g signal and have the arrows indicating data transfers.

I am not getting that anymore, it just sticks on a white 3g icon with no data. I tried battery and sim card pulls, airplane mode, battery modes, data roaming, all the tricks I can think of, I have reflashed 4 times and the problem persists.

VZW level 2 tech support was useless, they said they would call me back and its been 12 hours.

I read somewhere that some people with droid charges were getting 4g and no 3g and replacing the sim card fixed the issue. I don't know how that makes sense but I will try that tomorrow.

Any other ideas? or tips or tricks I could try?

Ok so I have a somewhat unique 3g data issue on my Bionic than what I have not heard of yet.

Last night I installed 5.7.893 and everything seemed fine 3g and 4g were switching just fine. I have 4g at home and during my commute but at work I only get 3g. When I got to work this morning I noticed that it switched from a blue 4g icon to a white 3g icon and it just stayed there. It will go usually go to a blue 3g signal and have the arrows indicating data transfers.

I am not getting that anymore, it just sticks on a white 3g icon with no data. I tried battery and sim card pulls, airplane mode, battery modes, data roaming, all the tricks I can think of, I have reflashed 4 times and the problem persists.

VZW level 2 tech support was useless, they said they would call me back and its been 12 hours.

I read somewhere that some people with droid charges were getting 4g and no 3g and replacing the sim card fixed the issue. I don't know how that makes sense but I will try that tomorrow.

Any other ideas? or tips or tricks I could try?

Had a similar issue a few weeks ago. When in 4g area data was fine. When I left 4g it would show white 3g but there was no data connection. Went to VZW and they were perplexed but decided to try a new sim and the new card fixed the problem.

Reactions: p8ntballah21
Upvote 0
I am now getting the white 3g. I have no problems in area serviced by 4g but at my house(3g only) i get NO data at all. This started two days ago. Stopped at the VZW store in East Greenbush, NY and they told me they will not replace a SIM card for me, it is a vendor issue and i have to wait for the update which has been pushed back to late November.

So, thanks VZW for not helping me resolve the issue.

Upvote 0
I am now getting the white 3g. I have no problems in area serviced by 4g but at my house(3g only) i get NO data at all. This started two days ago. Stopped at the VZW store in East Greenbush, NY and they told me they will not replace a SIM card for me, it is a vendor issue and i have to wait for the update which has been pushed back to late November.

That's crazy

I had this issue and my local vzw store gave me a hard time at first as well. Since they were in a 4g area I changed my network to cdma only to show them I had no data on 3g. I'd go back and not leave until the $300 phone was fixed.

Upvote 0
/that guy that says unpleasant things that need to be said:

So you installed unreleased and unsupported software on your own to your phone and are having problems with it. Surprise surprise. The possibility of it having problems is something you should have taken into account before installing unsupported leaked software. It is unreasonable to call Verizon and expect them to help you with this. I don't mean to call you out on this really but this is a trend I see people do all over the place where they install some custom ROM or any number of modifications(and not just to phones) and then get mad at the company that sold them the device when they can't fix it.

Rule #1 for power users: If you modify your device and you suddenly start having problems, you undo what you did. Don't make it more complicated than it has to be.

Upvote 0
/that guy that says unpleasant things that need to be said:

So you installed unreleased and unsupported software on your own to your phone and are having problems with it. Surprise surprise. The possibility of it having problems is something you should have taken into account before installing unsupported leaked software. It is unreasonable to call Verizon and expect them to help you with this. I don't mean to call you out on this really but this is a trend I see people do all over the place where they install some custom ROM or any number of modifications(and not just to phones) and then get mad at the company that sold them the device when they can't fix it.

Rule #1 for power users: If you modify your device and you suddenly start having problems, you undo what you did. Don't make it more complicated than it has to be.

[/unpleasant thing that didn't really need to be said]

Upvote 0

That's crazy

I had this issue and my local vzw store gave me a hard time at first as well. Since they were in a 4g area I changed my network to cdma only to show them I had no data on 3g. I'd go back and not leave until the $300 phone was fixed.

This. Find another retailer, or hound them and show them that it is strictly a SIM issue, and have them call VZW national headquarters they have to, to replace your SIM.

From my understanding the icon color only has to do with it being connected to Google Services. I know that doesn't help your situation. But If you activate the Bionic with out a g-mail account it will never turn blue.

Not the issue here.

Happened again on my phone today. Vzw offered me a refurb but i declined. They swapped my sim, no questions asked and 3g is fine again

I don't see how anyone can claim that the unsupported software can cause this - this is an issue with some people's SIM cards.

Why? Because I have that same software on my phone, and I live in a CDMA only area, and I have no problems with my device whatsoever.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones