• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Studio suddenly "Cannot find AVD system path"

MisterVargas

Lurker
Sep 23, 2019
Hi all.

New to Android development, and I did a forum search on this BTW.

After some Android Studio updates, it suddenly complains

Emulator: PANIC: Cannot find AVD system path. Please define ANDROID_SDK_ROOT

I've never set an environment variable for this, and was able to run projects just fine. I'm reluctant to set one and have the version be stuck at a hard-coded point.

I should also point out that I'm trying to run on a real phone, not the emulator.

Thanks for any insight.

Hi all.

New to Android development, and I did a forum search on this BTW.

After some Android Studio updates, it suddenly complains

Emulator: PANIC: Cannot find AVD system path. Please define ANDROID_SDK_ROOT

I've never set an environment variable for this, and was able to run projects just fine. I'm reluctant to set one and have the version be stuck at a hard-coded point.

I should also point out that I'm trying to run on a real phone, not the emulator.

Thanks for any insight.

You need to set the path to the SDK root directory which contains all the sdk directories such as build-tools and platform-tools. If you keep android studio up to date the SDK will also stay up to date and you'll always be on the latest.

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones