• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stuff you dont want your kids to see...

Well, albums sucks... What I've done is to make a folder called ".Special Pics" inside the Pictures directory, which holds some pics that the wife has sent me that I wouldn't want anyone else seeing... Using Astro, I can see the directory and view the pics, but to Albums, it's an invisible folder. The downside is that you have to manually move stuff in/out with either Astro or via the USB or SD card.

Using this method, Albums can see all the other pics on the card, but someone would have to be really hunting to get to the ".Special Pics"...

Doc

Upvote 0
Well, albums sucks... What I've done is to make a folder called ".Special Pics" inside the Pictures directory, which holds some pics that the wife has sent me that I wouldn't want anyone else seeing... Using Astro, I can see the directory and view the pics, but to Albums, it's an invisible folder. The downside is that you have to manually move stuff in/out with either Astro or via the USB or SD card.

Using this method, Albums can see all the other pics on the card, but someone would have to be really hunting to get to the ".Special Pics"...

Doc

I tried doing what you did with renaming it but the folder disappears and I cant see anything. The only way I can see the folder is when I go and set the sd usage icon to show up on the home screen but then it shows the files but you cant actually open them to view them.

Upvote 0
I tried doing what you did with renaming it but the folder disappears and I cant see anything. The only way I can see the folder is when I go and set the sd usage icon to show up on the home screen but then it shows the files but you cant actually open them to view them.

You need something like Astro in order to find the directory. Files/Directories starting with a period are hidden in the unix file system. Pretty poor implementation but it works for this.

Upvote 0
I tried that. It still wouldnt show under any section. If you go into preferences and then Home screen Icons and select SD Card icon, it will put a shorcut on your home page but when I use it it shows the folder, lets me open the folder and shows me the files but when I click on a file it doesnt do anything. It wont open to view it.

I can see it on the pc when I mount the phone. I have been using astro since the phone came out and love it, it even has an app killer built in (if I need it) and some other cool features but I cant get the files to open an view them..

Upvote 0
No luck for me. Cant be seen on phone and if i use the search feature it doesnt find it...

All I'm doing is changing the folder name with the file manager when I want to view it. After I am done viewing, I change the name back. So the file ".photos" becomes "photos" and I can view it in Albums. When I am finished I change it back to ".photos"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones