• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stupid Metro blocking tethering on esteem again

Hi guys ,

There is too much back and forth over this issue. There is a simple fix if you use Firefox . You can do this without any app , extension , or hacking the registry in windows.

Instructions:

1. Open Firefox (Any Version)

2. In The address bar type about:config hit enter

3. Click The Ill be careful button this will not break your browser or your machine

4. Right click in the window and select new then select string

5. Give your string the name general.useragent.override

6.And set the value as Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20120421 Gecko Firefox/11.0

That is it this works with all devices not just metro :D

Upvote 0
no for IE9 you have to download and install this file: Bayden Systems - UAPick

its what they call an user agent, than you have to go into the use agent and put this in the box, Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; SCH-R910 Build/FROYO)

on firefox you install https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/

and then go into the use agent and put that same code Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; SCH-R910 Build/FROYO)

hope this helps you out

I downloaded the UA picker from Bayden and copy/pasted the quoted UA into the box. It worked fine for the few minutes i tried it in Atlanta for thanksgiving, but as soon as I got back to Miami, it didn't work again? Anybody else having this problem?

Upvote 0
Hi guys ,

There is too much back and forth over this issue. There is a simple fix if you use Firefox . You can do this without any app , extension , or hacking the registry in windows.

Instructions:

1. Open Firefox (Any Version)

2. In The address bar type about:config hit enter

3. Click The Ill be careful button this will not break your browser or your machine

4. Right click in the window and select new then select string

5. Give your string the name general.useragent.override

6.And set the value as Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20120421 Gecko Firefox/11.0

That is it this works with all devices not just metro :D

I tried this and followed the instruction exactly as printed above.... didn't work = (

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones