1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support stupid question time :-)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by skivit, Jun 1, 2011.

1. skivit

skivit Well-Known Member
    None

do i have a gti5800 or gt5801?
    one physical button in the middle, kinda rounded triangular shape, and two touch sensitive buttons on either side.
    i thought this was the 5801 version, but on my phone build info and on bluetooth carkit its listed as GTI5800.

anyone?

Advertisement

2. Fabapocalypse

Fabapocalypse Newbie
    None

May 18, 2011
    UK
  3. skivit

skivit Well-Known Member
    None

seen something similar, by that i have a 5801, but still dont understand why the phone says 5800...........

4. bjlabuk

bjlabuk Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    I was faced with the same confusion when I bought my phone. The box said it was a GT-i5800 and physically it was a GT-i5800. BUT, when I checked the firmware installed by entering *#1234# on the keypad I found the following:

PDA: I5801ZHJH1
    PHONE: I5801ZHJH1
    CSC: I5801ZHJH1
    BUILD INFO : (I didn't note the exact details but it was 2.1 related)

According to samfirmware.com the letters 'ZH' are the country code for Hong Kong. So I think I got an unlocked unbranded phone installed with Asian firmware. I bought my phone from a UK based internet shop, so I can only assume their phone supplier was based in Hong Kong.

The first thing I did on realising I had an i5800 with i5801 firmware installed was to download the latest European stock version of 2.1 for the i5800, I5800XXJK1, from samfirmware.com and flash it to my phone using ODIN.

Having done that successfully I then upgraded to the latest European stock version of 2.2.

Interestingly a colleague of mine bought an unlocked unbranded i5801 whilst on holiday in Singapore. The Build No. was Froyo.ZHJPF and the baseband version i5801ZHJP3. He was experiencing problems with screen freezes etc. so I suggested he try connecting it to Samsung Kies to see whether he could update the firmware to 2.2. Not being very good with computers he got his wife to do it ! She had no problems with Kies and both updated their i5801's to the latest 2.2 version. I think they got the Asian firmware upgrade but the language is English and they are both happy, although my colleague thinks the battery is draining faster than before.

bjlabuk

5. skivit

skivit Well-Known Member
    None

*#1234# listed my phone as I5800, is this why i get no upgrade?
    it has only one physical button, getting really confused now....

6. skivit

skivit Well-Known Member
    None

7. bjlabuk

bjlabuk Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    The I5800 Galaxy 3 has 2 physical keys on the front (which click when you press them), piano black plastic on the back and an angled home key in the centre. The I5801 Galaxy Apollo has two touch sensitive keys on the front (which don't click when you press them), matte plastic on the back and a more rounded home key in the centre.

Are you saying that physically you have an i5801 phone but it appears to have i5800 firmware installed? If so it is not a problem.

bjlabuk