• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stupid Questions Appreciate the Help

Roran96

Lurker
Oct 3, 2018
So I've been looking into rooting my phone, been attempting to do as much research into as possible a question that has to come to mind that I haven't seen in the million reasons to and to not root my phone is will it void my contract with my provider, meaning it wouldn't function as a phone anymore simply Wifi Games ect

Rooting and carrier unlocking are completely different things. The confusion arises because there is bootloader unlocking (commonly a prelude to rooting) and SIM unlocking (allowing use with any carrier), but they are entirely unrelated. Rooting will not by itself network unlock a phone, and network unlocking does not give you root.

The phone will still work as a phone after rooting. But some apps check for root and will not run on a modified phone (banking apps, payment apps, some media apps). Some root methods and tools allow you to hide it from some of these apps, but if any of these things is important to you you should check that you have a method that's known to work with the particular app you care about before proceeding.

Upvote 0
As far as voiding your contract with your provider, no it will not. It will, however, void your service contract and/or warranty, if you still have one. Rooting is always done at your own risk, and that risk is the complete loss of a working phone.

The big question in my mind is why do you want to root? Most things that used to require root to work no longer do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones