• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root su binary update

nightowl66

Sep 27, 2011
Im running Velocity 1.2 and when I changed the cpu setting and hit apply, it says the su binary is outdated then option to update in notification bar. Is this something I want to update? I'm new to rooting and flashing roms so I'm not sure what I am doing yet.Thanks

You want to keep superuser updated. Go ahead to androidsu.com and download the latest (3.0.2) and flash it

Can someone better explain this update.... Here is the thing Super user use to not be on the market. Now supposedly its main stream. Use to you had to push it through the computer but now its on the market. Now on 6 different ally,s The su updated automatically. I don't like things that update like that. I want to have to give it permission. Is there a way to do that?

Upvote 0
Can someone better explain this update.... Here is the thing Super user use to not be on the market. Now supposedly its main stream. Use to you had to push it through the computer but now its on the market. Now on 6 different ally,s The su updated automatically. I don't like things that update like that. I want to have to give it permission. Is there a way to do that?

I have always been able to get SU from the market, at least as long as I have had a Android amyway, mine doesn't update automatically though. Are you sure you don't have the automatic update selected for SU in your market app?

Reactions: swc2001
Upvote 0
I have always been able to get SU from the market, at least as long as I have had a Android amyway, mine doesn't update automatically though. Are you sure you don't have the automatic update selected for SU in your market app?

Really I didnt know that. I really thought it was not in the Market.
Well I didnt think so. Heres the thing I am kinda my family's IT guy for phones. We have 7 ally's total. Everyone that has Su is having an automatic update. Those same individuals are using Velocity 1.0
So how do you de-select the auto update?
I will give it a shot.
Thanks Daut :D

Upvote 0
Here's the deal, SuperUser actually comes in two parts. The App from market, which only allows and keeps track of which apps have root permission, and the binary file(whis is obviously not on the market. The binary is what is ACTUALLY doing the work when it comes to apps with root permissions, but it obviously cant update the same way apps do, so the SuperUser app looks on androidsu.com for updates to the binary. Keep both of these up to date, and there should be no issues.

Upvote 0
Here's the deal, SuperUser actually comes in two parts. The App from market, which only allows and keeps track of which apps have root permission, and the binary file(whis is obviously not on the market. The binary is what is ACTUALLY doing the work when it comes to apps with root permissions, but it obviously cant update the same way apps do, so the SuperUser app looks on androidsu.com for updates to the binary. Keep both of these up to date, and there should be no issues.

How do I tell if i need to update the binary file from androidsu.com?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones