1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Sub $35 LTE phone carrier plan NJ?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by blahcomp222, Nov 7, 2014.

1. blahcomp222

blahcomp222 Lurker

I've had Virgin mobile for like 4 years. After one year, their rates went up but they let me keep my old rate of $25 no contract 300 minutes unlimited data and text and the price for new customers was $35. My phone broke so I got my replacement today and tried to activate it only to find out that since it's an LTE phone, they will not honor the $25 rate anymore, I have to pay $35. They have been letting me pay $25 for what others had to pay $35 for years but I guess the cost of LTE for them is too much to let anyone use it for $25 a month. I tried to talk to the supervisor but they wouldn't connect me and said this comes up all the time. I asked them to just block LTE from my service but they said it's not possible. I mentioned how there was zero mention of this on the website so I bought a phone and wasted all this time because of their fault, and now I probably not only will return the phone which leaves them with a used phone they can't sell as new and have to pay someone to sit there and sort through my box and repackage everything and possibly pay postage to mail it out to another place and that I'm probably leaving VM for a better deal if I can find one, which is what I'm asking to hopefully save me some time.

I'm in NJ. VM's coverage hasn't been great. I might not even use LTE because I don't like all the radiation, but want it for just in case when I'm trying to google something and 3G is slow as hell. I can return the LTE phone and all VM really has left for 3G-only phones is the POS that just broke on me in 13 months, one month after the warranty.

I honestly have no idea how much data I use. It's mostly for GPS driving, and I barely use the internet. I don't stream music or anything really. I use the GPS driving maybe 3 hours a month. 300 talk mins is enough as long as I'm not left on hold. texts I need like 200, often they are picture texts.

does anyone know of a plan that's under $35 no contract that can do as much as I need and allows an LTE phone and has decent NJ coverage?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

You can check out Cricket wireless which is owned by AT&T and use get to use all of AT&T towers, they have rates from $25 to $60, with taxes all included, and also a -$5 discount on autopay, check them out. I believe their $25 offers the use of only 3G even if you have a 4G or LTE device, keep in mind you have to buy your own device, these are no contracts, and you would need to get a GSM phone, but you can buy many from eBay, or Swappa

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

3. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

The $25 plan from Cricket doesn't offer any data at all, only talk and text. And it doesn't qualify for the $5 off auto-pay discount either. :( Their $40 plan could work for you.

Republic Wireless and Ting are two other options I know of, they both use Sprint like Virgin Mobile does, but Ting does offer voice/text roaming.

Republic Wireless has flat rates. Ting charges based on how much you use each month - you'd be around $23 - $32 a month if you're using under 500MB of data (from your description this sounds likely). You can download maps on WiFi before your trip and not use data for GPS - Google Maps and some other apps let you do this. If you decide to go with Ting check out my signature ;)

4. blahcomp222

blahcomp222 Lurker

thanks, i'll look into those. I did some research on boost, and a few others, there's even a %100 free one now, but there's got to be a catch.

From the prices I saw, I might just stick with VM's non-LTE 3G $25 month 300 mins unlimited data and text that they allowed me to keep from before the rate raise (which isn't really unlimited, they all say unlimited and then the cap amount under it but it's probably way over what I need). The 3G phones they have suck though, my ZTE AWE just broke and acted buggy all the time, alarm going off randomly, incoming calls sometimes fail to show the correct blank background and instead show whatever I last had open like a text or note which I don't want happening in case I lose the phone. Can't even hide the incoming calls, so I could lose my phone and someone can answer it pretending to be me. Better phones just display a contact memo in the lock screen in case it's lost and the finder tries to return it.

I'm calling VM now to see if they have any record of how much data I really used per month. I might be able to go with another $25 service provider that has unlimited miuntes and talk but less data than VM, but possibly LTE. Or I can figure out how to call free through google or something.

I'm refusing to pay return shipping for the LTE phone that I bought that isn't compatible with my grandfather plan which is no where mentioned on their site and thus not my fault, I will open a claim with my credit card, and I want compensation for lost time without a phone now that this is happening, a free month or something. I just want them to block LTE from my plan and keep the $25 300 mins plan, but they said it's not possible, but we'll see.

5. blahcomp222

blahcomp222 Lurker

Total BS. I called VM about how there was no mention that switching to an LTE phone would void my expired grandfather plan, and that I refuse to pay return shipping and will open a case with my credit card for reimbursement of shipping and compensation for disservice. The first supervisor said that it is noted in the Terms and Conditions that changing phones can void the expired plan, so I believed him and hung up to read them.

There is no mention that changing phones can void the expired plan rate in the terms and conditions.
    See:

Virgin Mobile USA

I have the $25 Beyond Talk Plan

So I called back and got another supervisor and explained everything again. He said he would try and pull strings to just get me the LTE for $25 a month. Then he comes back and says he can't just give me the LTE for $25 plan like he said he would.
    He said it's not just the LTE, it's the whole technology of the newer phones that is incompatible with the grandfather plan, again, I said there is zero mention of this in the terms and conditions and that I am going to open a claim with credit card and win and that it's simply whoever wrote the terms and conditions was inaccurate. All I asked for was to just block LTE from my service, not get LTE for $25 a month and said to check my previous data usage that I probably never even use %10 per month of what they allow. He started leaning towards me not being able to get the gradfather plan at all due to "a. the plan is discontinued and no longer made available by Virgin Mobile;' as stated in the terms and conditions, but that is a lie, he and all the other reps had already told me I could continue using the $25 grandfather plan as long as it's a 3G-only phone. Some said that it depends on when the phone was released, that if I buy the same POS 3G ZTE AWE than just broke on me, that it might have been released past a deadline thus making it void the expired plan. So I said what if I buy a used phone off ebay that was released before the deadline, he said I can't do that, I rhetorically said I'm not allowed to buy a used phone?

So it's only like $120 more per year to just pay the extra $10 per month and get the LTE (which I'll probably never really use as noted for radiation), which is on par with a lot of other providers' plans I checked, so I might just do that, or go the route of opening a claim about refusing to pay return shipping, but they might claim that it falls under the vaguely written "a. the plan is discontinued and no longer made available by Virgin Mobile;" which is BS because they all told me it was still available but only with a 3G phone and the terms and conditions don't mention anything about changing phones, so I wish I recorded the conversation also. Or I'll just shop around for another provider.

All they should have done is mention when I looked at the specs for this phone that 'not available with expired grandfather plans'. And for the T&C to mention this.

UPDATE: $20 month unlimited everything Sprint network.
    http://androidforums.com/android-lo...martphone-service-6-67-month.html#post6777086

6. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Yes correct, but he said Data wasn't a large need for him, so I sent for him to look at other options. ;)

7. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

You might be able the piece together a plan from consumer cellular that's under 35 dollars and runs on AT&T's network . Though probably not an option did to the number of minutes required , there's also the T-Mobile 30 dollar prepaid plan.

8. blahcomp222

blahcomp222 Lurker

why can we talk pricing here but my thread on freedompop got deleted as commercial spam? I can't conclude this thread by saying Game Over, freedompop = $19.99 unlimited evertything but data drops from 4G/LTE to 3G after 1GB usage. Or unlimited talk and text with 500mb data plan for $$6.67 a month must buy whole year. Or 200 talk 500 texts 500mg data %100 free. If you go over the amounts, you can probably just buy another months worth for $10 and then go back to the free plan the next month. You have to buy an approved phone. There's a $20 activation fee unless you buy the phone from them, they only offer 4 phones through them. Google the approved devices, there are many, all/most are sprint phones. Uses sprint network like many other providers, coverage good enough for most people.

9. minnieusa

minnieusa Lurker

I have 4g for $30 tmobile. Walmart. 200 min phone, 5 g data, unlimited text. Bought my own phone

10. blahcomp222

blahcomp222 Lurker

so sell it and get unlimited everything for $20.