• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Subfolders for Pictures

Is there a way you can have subfolders for the pictures you have on your camera. I had this feature on my BB Curve.
If I wanted a main folder called Vacations for instance and subfolders within called Mexico, California, Florida, etc. I could do so.
When I drug my pics folder I had on my PC set up this way onto my SD card, the phone just broke out each folder to show on the main list so they were all exposed. I tried moving them in many different ways but they either didn't show at all or just all showed on the main list.
I would rather have it setup in subfolders so I don't have a ton of folders on my list plus it keeps it more organized for me.

This phone is a whole new Animal to learn and I'm usually pretty good with this kind of stuff :)

You can use a file manager to create folders and organize your folders. However, my testing seems to indicate that the Gallery will not nest albums. I created a subfolder with photos under another folder with photos. The parent folder and the child subfolder both appeared as separate albums in the Gallery.

If you created the folder structure in Kekkle's example on the SD card, "Vacation" and "Vacation 2009" would appear as albums right next to each other in the Gallery.

The Gallery app would have to be modified or you'd need to find a different Gallery app for what you're looking for.

This phone is a whole new Animal to learn
It's not just the phone. Keep in mind that you don't have to use the stock apps. I'm not saying that there is a suitable gallery app out there but don't discount the possibility either. It's not like the BB where you're stuck with a lot of the stock apps.

Upvote 0
I think this guy wants this:

Start Gallery App
- Camera photos
- Vacations
----- Vacation 2009
----- Vacation 2010
- Party's
- Random
----- Snowy Days!
----- Summer Days!

So in essence, subfolders IN the app.
I am looking for the exact same thing, sub folders in Gallery for photos. Any idea how this can be done, right now when I sync folders similar to above, each folder has a separate folder in Gallery.

Upvote 0
I've been checking for that feature too. I've found that F-Stop Media Gallery, but you have to purchase to enable the subfolder feature.
I decided to use the ES File Explorer with its image viewer when I need as I don't always need to navigate photos by subfolders.
Hope it helps.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fstop.photo

-
Main Features
[...]
* Organize and view using folders, nested folders (PRO), standard albums, smart albums, nested albums (PRO), tags, ratings, favorites, and videos

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones