• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sublime fans!

Interesting. I listened to Sublime's album "Sublime" all the time in middle school and high school. These guys were great.

Sad to hear what Eric and Bud have done to the name and music of Sublime though.

On another note, Fawk yo sig. Thats like puttin a big red button in front of me and saying "DONT PRESS THE BUTTON"...lol. I however dont eat tootsie pops though. haha.

Reactions: YankeeDudeL
Upvote 0
sounds good man!

as for Rome with Sublime, come on man!

for one, Bradley would LOVE that his music is being kept alive. If you research his life, you'll learn he was all about music. He took samples of other people's songs and formed them into something that was his.
it would bother me if they were playing as "Sublime", however they're playing as "Sublime with Rome" He does a great job, and he isn't trying to be brad. :)

Upvote 0
here's a list of Sublime songs that either are covers, or have different parts of songs that Brad took and put into his own (some have as much as 3 different covers or parts of covers in one song!)

-Smoke Two Joints
-54-46 That's My Number/Ball and Chain
-D.J.'s
-Scarlet Begonias
-We're Only Gonna Die For Our Own Arrogance
-Get Out!
-Steppin Razor
-Greatest Hits
-Saw Red
-STP
-Doin' Time
-Caress Me Down
-Wrong Way
-Seed
-Get Ready
-Pawn Shop
-Jailhouse
-The Ballad of Johnny Butt
-and last, but not least: WHAT I GOT!!!!:eek:

so the point is, don't hate on Rome for singing somone else's songs... that's kind of what Bradley did! (although in a MUCH more creative and original way):)

Upvote 0
sounds good man!

for one, Bradley would LOVE that his music is being kept alive. If you research his life, you'll learn he was all about music. He took samples of other people's songs and formed them into something that was his.
it would bother me if they were playing as "Sublime", however they're playing as "Sublime with Rome" He does a great job, and he isn't trying to be brad. :)

this, i totally agree! god i love sublime,Brad is buried right down the street from where i live RIP

Upvote 0
here's a list of Sublime songs that either are covers, or have different parts of songs that Brad took and put into his own (some have as much as 3 different covers or parts of covers in one song!)

so the point is, don't hate on Rome for singing somone else's songs... that's kind of what Bradley did! (although in a MUCH more creative and original way):)

sounds good man!

I had to think of my response because you made some excellent points. Im not really upset with Rome for this, Im irked with Bud and Eric. Ill agree that Brad would have wanted his music to go on, which it has without a doubt. I, as a fan, dont think he would have wanted it this way. Them using the Sublime name seems to me like spitting on Bradleys grave.

The reason I view Eric and Bud the way I do is because THEY didnt do much as far as music writing and creative flow goes. They played what Brad wrote. They tried their own music with Long Beach Dub Allstars. Did you see how far that got them? Now compare either one of those two to David Grohl. While Nirvana COULD have continued to exist, it DIDNT. Why? Not because David Grohl was untalented, but they respected what they had and moved on to do their own thing. SUCCESSFULLY I might add. Chris is even IN Foo Fighters. They didnt ride the name of a deadman, which they COULD have done. They didnt replace Kurt. They formed something NEW.

To be honest, they didnt jump in with any new materiel. They jumped in with SUBLIME songs and let Brads words and music open doors so they could start making money again. If it was about the music, they would have done what Grohl and Shifflet did. I dont think they deserve respect for theft. Those are my two cents though. :)

Upvote 0
if you're really a fan, and you've read or studied a lot about brad's life and personality, you'd know he would definitely approve of what they're doing. Think of Sublime with Rome as a tribute band.

It's perfectly natural for you to not want to accept them because it's not Brad, but I know Brad would accept them!

As for new material, I would actually be more upset if they wrote new material under the name Sublime.

Upvote 0
if you're really a fan, and you've read or studied a lot about brad's life and personality, you'd know he would definitely approve of what they're doing. Think of Sublime with Rome as a tribute band.

It's perfectly natural for you to not want to accept them because it's not Brad, but I know Brad would accept them!

As for new material, I would actually be more upset if they wrote new material under the name Sublime.

o_O Uhhh wut? I dont think so tim...lol. Youve not been paying attention to whats been going on have you? Theyve already got a new CD out. hahaha.

Upvote 0
LIKE I SAID haha I'm fine as long as they aren't doing anything under the name Sublime.

If you still think Brad wouldn't approve, I think you need to watch the videos on this page:

The Bradley Nowell Story: Sublime and their reggae influences

The VH1 day in the life special? Seen it. I dont think he would have wanted it to go on the way it is, however, Im not him so I cant speak for him. I know for myself I dont wanna see Sublime the band go on WITHOUT Brad. Brad WAS Sublime.

Upvote 0
I'm a huge Sublime fan. I even named one(of 3) of my rescued dogs Ruca and will be naming my next rescue Lou Dog. Love the music, love everything that its about. I was upset when I heard they got a new frontman but the fact that they're called Sublime with Rome made it easy for me to accept.

I heard them in concert and unfortunatley for them the crowd wanted them to play Bradley's stuff when they wanted to promote their new stuff. Bradley is Sublime but to not credit Bud and Eric for not being the other half is just nonsense. Its not their fault that LBDAS didn't make it. They said they were heartbroken and didn't want to go on without Brad under the Sublime name. I remeber when they made the announcement but heartbreak can only keep you down for so long.

If they were releasing a remixed version of any of their old catalog, sure, you can hate on them. But they're doing their own stuff and Rome is being as respectful as a young man can to a pioneer.

I look forward to this CD and I wish nothing but the best for the surviving memebers of the band and Rome.

R.I.P. Bradley. You are missed but your legacy has been immortalized

BTW, good job on the cover.

Reactions: tommy_ed
Upvote 0
I'm a huge Sublime fan. I even named one(of 3) of my rescued dogs Ruca and will be naming my next rescue Lou Dog. Love the music, love everything that its about. I was upset when I heard they got a new frontman but the fact that they're called Sublime with Rome made it easy for me to accept.

I heard them in concert and unfortunatley for them the crowd wanted them to play Bradley's stuff when they wanted to promote their new stuff. Bradley is Sublime but to not credit Bud and Eric for not being the other half is just nonsense. Its not their fault that LBDAS didn't make it. They said they were heartbroken and didn't want to go on without Brad under the Sublime name. I remeber when they made the announcement but heartbreak can only keep you down for so long.

If they were releasing a remixed version of any of their old catalog, sure, you can hate on them. But they're doing their own stuff and Rome is being as respectful as a young man can to a pioneer.

I look forward to this CD and I wish nothing but the best for the surviving memebers of the band and Rome.

R.I.P. Bradley. You are missed but your legacy has been immortalized

BTW, good job on the cover.

Dont you mean "being broke while having a lucrative cash cow to milk" only happens for so long?

Upvote 0
Dont you mean "being broke while having a lucrative cash cow to milk" only happens for so long?

Absolutley not. They didn't try to replace him right away after he died. They disbanded immediately. There was genuine love for one another in that band. If they make a profit in the end, good for them but there are millions of Sublime fans that are happy that they are doing this. I do respect your opinion though cause I was conflicted about this for a while myself.

Upvote 0
The VH1 day in the life special? Seen it. I dont think he would have wanted it to go on the way it is, however, Im not him so I cant speak for him. I know for myself I dont wanna see Sublime the band go on WITHOUT Brad. Brad WAS Sublime.

No, it's not the VH1 special. WATCH THE VIDEOS!!! i promise you it will change your perspective.

I can agree with you on one thing though, Brad was Sublime. But at the same time, Bud and Eric were HUGE contributors to the personality of the band. To say Brad would be upset is nonsense... between his intense love for sharing music and the fact that he, bud, and eric, had been best friends for as long as they were, you can bet he would be pleased.

You shouldn't refer to Bud and Eric the way you did, saying they are "milking a cash cow"... I would imagine THAT would piss Brad off!!! :)

Upvote 0
Absolutley not. They didn't try to replace him right away after he died. They disbanded immediately. There was genuine love for one another in that band. If they make a profit in the end, good for them but there are millions of Sublime fans that are happy that they are doing this. I do respect your opinion though cause I was conflicted about this for a while myself.

They didnt disband, the heart, soul, creator, and only part of the band that wasnt replaceable died. Eric and Bud are talentless, but were good friends of Brads.

Lets look at this list and tell me, what do you remember?

Sublime
Sublime with Rome
Long Beach Dub Allstars
Long Beach Shortbus

I remember the ONE Dub Allstars song they played on the radio, and that one song SUCKED. Eric and Bud are nothing without the name of Sublime.

Upvote 0
They didnt disband, the heart, soul, creator, and only part of the band that wasnt replaceable died. Eric and Bud are talentless, but were good friends of Brads.

Lets look at this list and tell me, what do you remember?

Sublime
Sublime with Rome
Long Beach Dub Allstars
Long Beach Shortbus

I remember the ONE Dub Allstars song they played on the radio, and that one song SUCKED. Eric and Bud are nothing without the name of Sublime.

The highlighted statement right there should tell you that Brad wouldn't be opposed to letting the name Sublime go on. Them producing a new album calling themselves Sublime with a frontman named Rome is perfectly legit. Atleast they aren't trying to reproduce and remaster old hits. I'm glad you are extremely talented and can go as far as to call them talentless. Remeber, this wasn't a discussion of who had more talent, this was a discussion of whether or not Bradley Nowell would be upset with Eric and Bud for using the name Sublime

Upvote 0
I think it's funny you don't think Brad would approve of Bud and Eric doing almost the exact same thing he did!!!

Have you watched the videos yet?!

Im not saying that they shouldnt keep the MUSIC going. Its them using the name of Sublime. Doing a few covers is fine, but they booked shows AS Sublime, and that aint right.

The only reason theyre not using just the name Sublime, is because they got sued.

Upvote 0
no they are playing as "Sublime with Rome"... COMPLETELY different

In 2009, the surviving members decided to reform the band with Rome Ramirez as Nowell's replacement.[4] However, not long after performing at Cypress Hill's Smokeout Festival, a Los Angeles judge banned the new lineup from using the Sublime name.[5] This was because Nowell had owned rights to the Sublime name, and as a result, they were not allowed to use it without approval and permission from his estate. In January 2010, the lawsuit was settled and the new lineup now performs together as Sublime with Rome, who has completed their debut album Yours Truly, which is due for release on July 12, 2011.

Upvote 0
I didn't know that. However it still does not change the fact that I believe Bradley would not only approve, but would be happy his music is still being shared. Have you watched the videos yet? you'll learn some things you obviously don't know about Brad...

You're missing my point bruh. It's not the music. Covers are great. I respect cover songs. It's the name that they used and the way they went about it that irks me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones