• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Success!!! Bloatware Removed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, each attempt I make I always get stuck at the line of code you see below at the end of the script...

any HELP please! why is it stopping here and I've waited up to 15mins..which it shouldn't take that long according to all other post,

again any help would be greatly appriciated!

Thank you in advance,

les (p.s. see text below for issue)

C:\souproot\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
R910a61c65aa device

C:\souproot\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb push c:\souproot\droidroot\rageagainst
thecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp
112 KB/s (5392 bytes in 0.046s)
C:\souproot\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
$ cd /data/local/tmp
cd /data/local/tmp
$ chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
$ ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
[*] CVE-2010-EASY Android local root exploit (C) 2010 by 743C
[*] checking NPROC limit ...
[+] RLIMIT_NPROC={2294, 2294}
[*] Searching for adb ...
[+] Found adb as PID 2353
[*] Spawning children. Dont type anything and wait for reset!
[*]
[*] If you like what we are doing you can send us PayPal money to
[*] 7-4-3-C@web.de so we can compensate time, effort and HW costs.
[*] If you are a company and feel like you profit from our work,
[*] we also accept donations > 1000 USD!
[*]
[*] adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login.
$
C:\souproot\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb devices
List of devices attached

C:\souproot\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
# exit
exit
C:\souproot\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb push c:\souproot\droidroot\Superuser.a
pk /system/app

Upvote 0
Mike, If you provide the path to these files on our samsung droid phones, I'll compare them to those I have on my other rooted and unlocked froyo 2.2 Droid and may come up with a replacement solution.

They are located in the /system/app/Settings.apk app file. Use 7zip to open the app and extract the files.

Upvote 0
I am ready to do this now. One last question. Can the phone be put back into it's original state after doing this? Of course I'm talking the current version with full root.

factory reset should wipe off the root but the bloatware apps would still be gone. To add the bloatware apps back again you would need to just download them again from the metro App store. I left the Metro App Store in tackt so that you can add back the stock apps from metro if you ever decided you wanted them again.

Reactions: ickster
Upvote 0
Silly newb question if I may,
When i try and run souporroot, i get the following error, "Windows cannot find "C:\souproot\bats\vbs.root.vbs'. What am i missing or doing wrong, please?

I had the same problem and to solve it, I had to create the path above on my C drive and extract the contents of the archive downloaded from Mike's thread, into that folder so that the program does find C:\souproot\bats\vbs.root.vbs. i.e. go to the root of your local disk C (Windows, I assume?), create a new folder and call is souproot, then extract the contents of Mike's archive into it so that when you're in there, you see the folder called "bats", inside of which you'll find the file called vbsroot.vbs....

Reactions: qdOOd
Upvote 0
Mike I'm not really trying to root the phone or anything fancy at this point, just wanted to remove some of the bloatware apps. Is there any way I can do that without having to load one of these rooting programs that possibly tampers with other parts of the phone that you included in your zip file?

Also is there any way to make the script more user friendly? I'm talking about like having a Y/N user prompt before each removal command that says, for example, "Are you sure want to remove MetroPCS Easy WiFi?" for each app that it's about to remove, instead of just killing off everything. I'd do it myself if I knew how.

And is there any way the bloatware apps can be backed up before removing them, in case we do ever want to restore the phone to 100% factory settings other than redownloading them from MetroWeb? No way to just keep them on the phone and just disable them?

Upvote 0
Mike I'm not really trying to root the phone or anything fancy at this point, just wanted to remove some of the bloatware apps. Is there any way I can do that without having to load one of these rooting programs that possibly tampers with other parts of the phone that you included in your zip file?

Also is there any way to make the script more user friendly? I'm talking about like having a Y/N user prompt before each removal command that says, for example, "Are you sure want to remove MetroPCS Easy WiFi?" for each app that it's about to remove, instead of just killing off everything. I'd do it myself if I knew how.

And is there any way the bloatware apps can be backed up before removing them, in case we do ever want to restore the phone to 100% factory settings other than redownloading them from MetroWeb? No way to just keep them on the phone and just disable them?
nope, this is the only way to remove them and you cant disable them.

if you dont want a particular app removed open the Bloatware removal .vbs file with notepad and remove the line for the apps you dont want it to delete.

if you dont want to give all apps root access, just delete the included SU file before running the script.

Upvote 0
nope, this is the only way to remove them and you cant disable them.

if you dont want a particular app removed open the Bloatware removal .vbs file with notepad and remove the line for the apps you dont want it to delete.

if you dont want to give all apps root access, just delete the included SU file before running the script.

I really don't want to screw around with script files. If I make a typo I could be ****ed. So I guess your answer about more user friendly is a no

Upvote 0
I really don't want to screw around with script files. If I make a typo I could be ****ed. So I guess your answer about more user friendly is a no

OK, i updated the script to prompt for each app and you can choose to remove or keep it.

Then at the end it will ask if you would like to "Grant all apps Root access". If you select yes it will swap out the SU file with the one that grants all apps root without prompting.

download from the original link in the first post.

Upvote 0
OK, i updated the script to prompt for each app and you can choose to remove or keep it.

Then at the end it will ask if you would like to "Grant all apps Root access". If you select yes it will swap out the SU file with the one that grants all apps root without prompting.

download from the original link in the first post.

Besito!!

Upvote 0
Thank you so MikesTooLz!! I feel much better with all that metro crap gone. Now if we could just get rid of the loader with that stupid hello, hello, hello, metropcs prompt :p

Also, I had difficulty getting my PC to recognize the phone, even after drivers were installed. The problem was the phone was connected to a hub (front ports on the tower) and not directly into the motherboard. Worked like a charm once I moved the USB to the back of the computer :)

Upvote 0
mike, can i remove the video.sv folder that is on the sd card, i thought the bloatware remover was suppose to remove it off the sd card but it didnt. its like 1.74gb

i would also like the hello hello hello off the phone at bootup , but i'm guessing a full root is needed for that..

the script doesnt touch anything on the sd card. the video.sv is the ironman video file. You can delete it if you want.

The bootup sound can be replaced or removed

Upvote 0
Just wanted to mention that if you want to make a backup copy of any of the Metro bloatware apps before this script removes them, they're sitting in your phone's /system/app directory (which you can access with a file manager program like ES File Explorer or ASTRO). You can copy them to your SD card and then move them onto your PC...then run Mike's script to remove whichever ones you don't want.

Oh and Mike I've got a question too after running your script just now. I did not grant root access, but I know that adb/soup or root still enables level 1 root in order to delete the bloatware apps. Is there any way I can reverse whatever adb/soup or root modified on the phone now? Can I get rid of level 1 root?

Upvote 0
Just wanted to mention that if you want to make a backup copy of any of the Metro bloatware apps before this script removes them, they're sitting in your phone's /system/app directory (which you can access with a file manager program like ES File Explorer or ASTRO). You can copy them to your SD card and then move them onto your PC...then run Mike's script to remove whichever ones you don't want.

Oh and Mike I've got a question too after running your script just now. I did not grant root access, but I know that adb/soup or root still enables level 1 root in order to delete the bloatware apps. Is there any way I can reverse whatever adb/soup or root modified on the phone now? Can I get rid of level 1 root?

Souproot has an unroot script you could try running.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones