1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Success! Transformer tethered without root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by entiel, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Well actually you have the apk on the device where you have it installed. :)
    Use Astro File Manager to make a backup of the app. Then use it find the app in the 'backup' directory, long press and email it to yourself.

Advertisement

2. bbboldgirl1

bbboldgirl1 Lurker
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    Is there a way to tether my ATT IPhone to my ASUS Transformer without paying the fees above and beyond what i already pay ATT for unlimited data

3. ORD84

ORD84 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    Security Consultant
    SHE-KA-GO
    Can someone please explain how to bluetooth tether my tab? Sorry tablet newbie, i have sent files via bluetooth but haven't used bluetooth tether before

4. jibjab

jibjab Lurker
    None

Dec 3, 2011
    That answers a question then, I tether my eepad to my desire HD when im out and about via the wireless hotspot with no issues. When i was on holiday i was showing a friend of mine how to use her SII and in the wireless menu the hotspot wasnt highlight it was greyed out. I bought my phone factory unlocked.

5. Bonediggidy13

Bonediggidy13 Lurker
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    Pdanet tablet is probably the best and easiest thing you can use for thethering your android phone to your android tablet.

I Have the thunderbolt and just got the asus transformer and it works great, just download pdanet tablet to both devices, start in on the phone and follow the directions from there.

6. drkildrum

drkildrum Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2010
    west by god
    I have a razr and transformer , both unrooted, I turn Bluetooth on and connect, I go into Bluetooth settings in my transformer and select the use Bluetooth with internet ( not sure exactly what it is called, but it is self explanatory ) and I serf just fine,

7. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    What app are you running on the Razr side? I'm just assuming that you have a tethering plan with your carrier, or the Razr would not share it's signal.

8. Renee1228

Renee1228 Member
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Female
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm so confused. I am having fits trying to get internet on my Asus via my Evo. I have used PDAnet to tether my laptop many times with no issues, but I cannot get it to work on my tablet. I have the PDAnet Tablet app installed on my tablet, but when I search for the same app on my phone in the market, nothing comes up. Am I missing something obvious?

Neither device is rooted. I have rooted my phones in the past, but didn't think I needed to root in order to use PDA net. If I root both these devices does it really make it easier to use my phone as a modem? How so? Thanks SO much for the help/advice.

9. Renee1228

Renee1228 Member
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Female
    Minneapolis, MN
    I should add, when I use it with my laptop it's via USB (not BT). I am perfectly fine doing it with USB with my transformer, I don't need to do it with BT, I just want internet when I'm away from WIFI, I don't care how!! :)

Thanks again!

10. drkildrum

drkildrum Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2010
    west by god
    I have no app nor teather on my phone, I don't know how it works but it does, I have never stayed on it long I just connected via blue tooth and in the tablet settings it said use for internet I clicked it turned off the wifi and was online,

11. teribruins

teribruins Lurker
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    My android phone doesn't show the pdanet tablet beta option in the market. Any suggestions? I have the evo shift.

12. rhand

rhand Lurker
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    • Bluetooth tethering didn't work for me with Droid X (rooted) and Transformer. Although the Transformer claimed it was connected to BT and was using it for Internet, no data actually came across
    • OpenGarden WiFi tethering didn't work, nor did the stock WiFi tethering on the Droid X: in both cases opening a browser on the Transformer showed me a Verizon page asking me to sign-up for their tethering service at $20/month
    • Finally, WiFi Tethering for Root Users (hosted by Google Code) worked, but only once I went into settings and enabled the "Routing fix"

So now I'm happy, although I do wish the app supported USB tethering so it would go easier on the phone's battery.

====================
    UPDATE: January 30, 2012
    Well, the WiFi Tethering for Root users that made me so happy above occasionally works, but mostly doesn't. Most of the time I get the dreaded Verizon page asking me to sign-up for their tethering service.

13. jdbaker82

jdbaker82 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 19, 2011
    strange that others have tethered droid x VIA bluetooth no root and others cant...... whats up with that

14. ziffos

ziffos Member
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    Retired in 1994 at age of 45
    East Coast UK
    Tethering my Transformer to my Nexus S or my Wildfire S has NOT been any problem - both work very well. Neither phones nor Transformer are rooted and no app program needed.

15. droidgal00

droidgal00 Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    I see people have found ways to tether without rooting their tablets but what about with a NON-ROOTED Android Phone?

I have a DROID 2 and Asus Eee pad Transformer Prime. Found one app but you need to have Windows on the device you want to tether to the phone. I don't want anything Microsoft on my Eee Pad since it's so ridiculously expensive and unstable (at least on my laptop).

That's why I got aa Tablet and not a laptop, wanted to stick w/Android operating system even though I could never figure out how to root-lol

Curious if anyone found a way to tether with no rooting at all??

16. Barbara

Barbara Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    I have a non-rooted Droid3 and a non-rooted TF101. I can connect wirelessly using bluetooh, no app needed.

17. fldude99

fldude99 Android Expert
    None

Oct 10, 2010
    NW FL
    After reading through all this, I still can't figure out why anyone would tether their Transformer to a phone? I can see tethering the phone to the Transformer when there is no wifi available...but not the other way around

18. wally44

wally44 Lurker
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    How did you get this to work. Pdanet tablet won't work with bluetooth on my Droid Charge as it says it requires 4.0 (ICS). And the Pdanet app for my phone won't connect with my transformer prime. The transformer prime pairs with my phone, but there is no connect option.

19. akashik

akashik Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 7, 2011
    Curious about this as well. I have the same exact issue. Phone is a Galaxy Precedent though.

20. jillsknitting

jillsknitting Lurker
    None

Oct 2, 2010

21. Barbara

Barbara Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    I tried the pdanet for tablet app and it didn't work. I have a Droid3 and the TF101. But just using bluetooth works great. Turn on bluetooth on the phone and make it discoverable. Put the tablet in airplane mode and turn on bluetooth. Pair with the phone. Then click on the little wrench in bluetooth setting on the tablet and check that you want to use the phone for internet. It works for me!

22. KSE

KSE Lurker
    None

Feb 15, 2012
    I can pair my bionic with the TF via bluetooth and then simply select "Use for internet access" in the TF BT settings.

Connect and that's it. Nothing is rooted, works great.

23. ams30gts

ams30gts Member
    None

Jul 31, 2010
    Owner, Allied Armory
    Montebello, CA
    I finally retired my EVO since it was having issues. Got myself a Galaxy S2 and was all ready to root until I read that Wireless Tether does not work for it.

I use my tablet when on the road for work and need to get my tether on.

I did exactly what you said here but run into a snag on the last step.

After I click the wrench, there is no option for "use the phone for internet". Only 2 options are "Rename Device" or "Unpair".

Any suggestions?

24. Barbara

Barbara Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    I think you have to "pair" on both the phone and the tablet.

25. ams30gts

ams30gts Member
    None

Jul 31, 2010
    Owner, Allied Armory
    Montebello, CA
    I actually re-tried PDAnet Tablet and it worked like a charm. Haven't tried it out with 4G yet, but on 3G it works great.

Samguns Galaxy S2 Epic 4G with an ASUS Transformer.