1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Success!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cashmere_cat, Sep 17, 2011.

1. cashmere_cat

cashmere_cat Well-Known Member

After much research and confusion, I have now successfully rooted!
    I wasn't sure my heart was gonna be able to handle it... sitting on the absolute edge of my seat while unrevoked ran... praying for no errors or problems! And there were none.
    A huge thank you to the forum members in general -- for creating the guides, the faq's, the links to the downloads, for keeping things up to date, and for answering (sometimes over and over ad nauseaum) the questions from the newbies wanting to gain root. I've lurked in a number of different forums while I debated rooting, and this one is bar far the most user friendly from my experience.

So now that my blood pressure is back to normal.....what now? lol.

My ultimate goal is to get rid of the low space issue...

Advertisement

2. cashmere_cat

Next step - S off? partition the sd? find a ROM? .....

3. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Extreme Android User

i replied to your other pose

check the roms in xda-forums desire section
    theres loads there, recommendations are subjective and down to use taste so have a look, backup you rom with recovery and TI (not rom manager) wipe device and flash the roms. see what you like.
    S-off is advanced and you may not need it for what you want at the moment

4. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

+1

5. cashmere_cat

As with all these sorts of topics, the amount of information to wade through is enormous. And there is much reference there (on xda) to things that are not recommended on this forum (ie using rom manager to root etc), not to mention the one thread with tutorials on root/flashing roms has 128 pages.. makes for more confusion...

6. cashmere_cat

7. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

1) Dont read the guides on XDA. I am a member on XDA (rootSU) and they have a cavalier attitude towards putting salient information in them (eg the importance of Erase size 40,000 is missing from all their guides, despite me telling them how important it is).

2) They arent really aware of our ROM manager issues as seen here. Its not even worth telling them as they wont even listen

3) We keep our guides as up to date as possible and try to cover all bases. Either use theirs or use ours but NEVER mix n match guides.

Now in regards to your last post, what is confusing about that? Yes if you want to use a2sd+, you must partition your sd card. See the root memory FAQ

We have everything you need here. And we answer questions.

ernolander and rowlers like this.
  8. cashmere_cat

OK, thank you. I guess what 'confused me' was the information that I should now "backup you rom with recovery and TI (not rom manager) wipe device and flash the roms."
    Off to read about partitioning the SD.

9. Flumme

Flumme Android Enthusiast

You need to partition your sd card in order to be able to fool your phone into putting your user apps onto the sd card's new EXT-partition. That is only gonna happen with a ROM that supports A2SD+, so look for that when browsing the ROMs on xda.

The reason for doing all this, is to get rid of that obnoxious low memory warning.

Keep reading the faq's and guides here, and you'll learn all about it! :)

10. cashmere_cat

11. rowlers

rowlers Android Enthusiast

Great post!

12. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

hi cashmere_cat,

i was very confused too when doing my root+rom :/

im now rooted and running miui xj and liking it :)

hardest part for me was getting my pc to download and run the rooting app - took me ages! but got there in the end

installing the rom after that was easy - just copied it to my sd card and then ran it from the boot menu options

im now running Go or Adw launcher over the top of miui as prefer those

BTW: i forgot to do the ds partition bit! oops - but SU advised me it would be cool to do it later - no issues so far - still not got around to doing it :)

good luck

cheers
    dan

13. madhatter1689

madhatter1689 Android Enthusiast

The importance of the erase size caught me out when rooting my son's phone. Both have the same phone [Desire] and I had rooted my phone so thought it was same routine for his. But it wasn't. SUroot came to my rescue [not for the first time lol]. Stick to this Forum, folk are very helpful.

14. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

think I might have mixed and matched! :-\ but
    I survived :)

generally find the AF guides clearer imo

Tags: