• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

successful returns for light leakage?

Its been over 2 weeks and RS still hasn't had any in stock to exchange out for me. I have even called all the Radio Shacks in a 200 mile radius and they are all out. This sucks because my glass is so f*ked up that I don't even carry the phone with me any more for fear of it screwing something else up then RS will tell me that I'm SOL, not to mention when I pull it out people are like what the hell is wrong with your phone? Sprint should take care of the people that bought phones else where instead of giving them the run around. They gave me 3 options. 1. take it back to RS and get it exchanged for free ( I'm like free? I paid over 200$ for it.) 2. Use my insurance pay the 100$ dollar deductible and get a new one. 3. Get a refurb upon availability without paying the deductible. What a crock of S*it. I have had an optimistic attitude and have been very patient. But its been 2 weeks or so and I'm still stuck with my defective phone. I am getting to the point that I just want to return it and use my old ass Katana 2 till HTC can ship me a new phone. By the way HTC gave me a 3-6 week time frame in receiving a replacement through their 1 year manufactuers warranty. But I will have to wait til my 30 days are up. Thats two more weeks plus the 3-6 weeks. Thats like 2 months of waiting for a new phone through them. I'm not a happy camper! Sorry for ranting guys. :mad::(:mad::(

This what I have to put up with. :(

CIMG1861400x410.jpg

Man I feel for you, that's the worst case of screen separation I have seen. On mine I was getting leakage under all 4 buttons. I charged my phone overnight fully last night and when I checked it this morning my leakage had spread to across the entire bottom of the phone. Now all the areas under the buttons are joined together in one horrendous band of light. My theory is that the phone heated up a bit while charging and the glue failed to an even greater extent than it already had.

I also noticed today (not sure if it's new or not) that I have leakage on the top left corner and also on the right edge about an inch down from the top.

My phone has the grounding issue and the ear speaker sounds like crud.

I'm finished this POS is going back to BB, I'll wait on the sidelines to see what happens.

Upvote 0
Man I feel for you, that's the worst case of screen separation I have seen. On mine I was getting leakage under all 4 buttons. I charged my phone overnight fully last night and when I checked it this morning my leakage had spread to across the entire bottom of the phone. Now all the areas under the buttons are joined together in one horrendous band of light. My theory is that the phone heated up a bit while charging and the glue failed to an even greater extent than it already had.

I also noticed today (not sure if it's new or not) that I have leakage on the top left corner and also on the right edge about an inch down from the top.

My phone has the grounding issue and the ear speaker sounds like crud.

I'm finished this POS is going back to BB, I'll wait on the sidelines to see what happens.

What a shame shame shame. Why didnt sprint think about this and released alot more then they did. Alot of people wont be as forgiving as us or me. And they will just take it back and wait for the Iphone 4 and never look back. And it maybe just a few thousand defects but word of mouth spreads like a wildfire with raining gasoline. And could deter potential EVO customers elsewhere. Not to mention that this is Sprints Flagship Phone. I hate apple, but I admit they make a good product. The Iphone 4 looks really well crafted. But I would never own one cuz Im a diehard apple hater. I guess I will just have to think hard at what Im gonna do next. I should be having fun enjoying my new badass KING EVO, but instead im sick to my stomach waiting for a replacement.

Upvote 0
Its been over 2 weeks and RS still hasn't had any in stock to exchange out for me. I have even called all the Radio Shacks in a 200 mile radius and they are all out. This sucks because my glass is so f*ked up that I don't even carry the phone with me any more for fear of it screwing something else up then RS will tell me that I'm SOL, not to mention when I pull it out people are like what the hell is wrong with your phone? Sprint should take care of the people that bought phones else where instead of giving them the run around. They gave me 3 options. 1. take it back to RS and get it exchanged for free ( I'm like free? I paid over 200$ for it.) 2. Use my insurance pay the 100$ dollar deductible and get a new one. 3. Get a refurb upon availability without paying the deductible. What a crock of S*it. I have had an optimistic attitude and have been very patient. But its been 2 weeks or so and I'm still stuck with my defective phone. I am getting to the point that I just want to return it and use my old ass Katana 2 till HTC can ship me a new phone. By the way HTC gave me a 3-6 week time frame in receiving a replacement through their 1 year manufactuers warranty. But I will have to wait til my 30 days are up. Thats two more weeks plus the 3-6 weeks. Thats like 2 months of waiting for a new phone through them. I'm not a happy camper! Sorry for ranting guys. :mad::(:mad::(

This what I have to put up with. :(

CIMG1861400x410.jpg

can you squeeze a case onto it in the meantime? - it should push it down and protect it. seems like hypothetically it wouldn't be an issue if you used a case. hope HTC ships some stock out soon for you.

Upvote 0
can you squeeze a case onto it in the meantime? - it should push it down and protect it. seems like hypothetically it wouldn't be an issue if you used a case. hope HTC ships some stock out soon for you.

Good idea but I dont know if I want to spend more money on it at this point. If and when I do get another one I will most likely buy a case.

Upvote 0
Well guys I returned my EVO today at Radio Shack. They have been out for over a week and will be out for quite awhile. So I exchanged it for this POS

CIMG1865450x300.jpg

They put the rest of the money on a gift card and will call me as soon as they get more EVO's in. Then I will exchange this POS for a new and hopefully non defective EVO.:) My EVO got so bad that the top half of the screen would not respond to the touch :eek:. I couldnt slide down the window shade. They told me if I outright returned it that I could lose my upgrade eligibility through them, not through sprint but through them. I dont know it my be BS so they wouldnt lose a sale.:rolleyes: But at least I have a phone for now untill they get more EVO's in stock. I just hope they get some quick cuz I cant stand this POS.:mad: Well that person that got another one shipped over night well lucky you. HTC told me Id had to wait till my 30 days were up with RS in order for them to even do something for me. I guess they just give preferential treatment to some people. All I know is that I want my EVO and I want it now!!:mad::(:mad::(

Upvote 0
I returned mine today at Best Buy and got a new one. It seems fine with zero light bleeding onto the display. No hassles whatsoever. I think if you're going to have light bleeding onto the display it would be doing it to some extent out of the box. I remember thinking my first one looked odd with the LEDs shining at the bottom of the display while walking out of Best Buy. My new one (0003) has no light issues, so far.

Upvote 0
I returned mine today at Best Buy and got a new one. It seems fine with zero light bleeding onto the display. No hassles whatsoever. I think if you're going to have light bleeding onto the display it would be doing it to some extent out of the box. I remember thinking my first one looked odd with the LEDs shining at the bottom of the display while walking out of Best Buy. My new one (0003) has no light issues, so far.

how did you just "return" yours at best buy and get a "new one?"

i called today and they told me that they would only be able to ship it to htc, and i would have to purchase a replacement phone for $150, until my new evo comes back in.

they said i couldnt just exchange my phone???

Upvote 0

i called today and they told me that they would only be able to ship it to htc, and i would have to purchase a replacement phone for $150, until my new evo comes back in.

If they are pulling that crap, then just return it for a refund (if within 30 days) and then repurchase it, either there or elsewhere.

Upvote 0

I had no problems getting them to exchange mine. I dealt with the same girl that sold me the phone.

Upvote 0

I had no problems getting them to exchange mine. I dealt with the same girl that sold me the phone. Is your BB in an urban area? Try a store in a smaller town. The employes are generally more down to earth.

Upvote 0
I had no problems getting them to exchange mine. I dealt with the same girl that sold me the phone. Is your BB in an urban area? Try a store in a smaller town. The employes are generally more down to earth.

I too returned mine at BB today hassle free. I noticed almost immediately that the 0003 version is much better put together than the 0002 version. I did not have the light leakage from the bottom but rather it was bleeding onto the LCD screen. **Knocking on wood** This new unit looks and feels so much better than my 0002 version. It's also much more responsive.

Upvote 0
blah this is starting to happen with my phone now, I thought I was good to go, but 19 days later the light is starting to leak through the bottom and the screen is definitely loose. Thank goodness it happened now and not after day 30, just so I have some buying power left. I had terrible luck with the Hero and Hardware issues, I hope this is not another one of those frustrating experiences.

Upvote 0
I am having minor issues with the screen clicking sometimes when I use it- I feel like this is a precursor to the screen raising issue. I called Sprint and they told me to return it to a store for a new one. When I called the local store and asked if they had any in stock, I was told it was at least a two week wait... which would put me over the month return on a new phone.

When I called Sprint back (*2), they told me not to worry about it and they'd extend the 30 day return to when I could get a new one, and went so far as to send me an email from a customer service rep so the store wouldn't give me any problems when I did.

Upvote 0
Well guys I am happy to say that after bothering HTC they finally conceded and overnighted me my 3rd EVO. WITH NO DEFECTS. The even threw in a free silicone case for my troubles. :D:D:D They gave me a box to ship back the defect which I happily shipped this morning. Im glad cuz RS is still sold out and who knows when they will be getting more. For all you people having the same issue as me. Just keep bugging HTC and they will concede. Good Luck!!!!

CIMG1868450x300.jpg

Upvote 0
Well guys I am happy to say that after bothering HTC they finally conceded and overnighted me my 3rd EVO. WITH NO DEFECTS. The even threw in a free silicone case for my troubles. :D:D:D They gave me a box to ship back the defect which I happily shipped this morning. Im glad cuz RS is still sold out and who knows when they will be getting more. For all you people having the same issue as me. Just keep bugging HTC and they will concede. Good Luck!!!!

CIMG1868450x300.jpg
What is the number you called.. Or emailed?. Thanks

Upvote 0

Can you be a little more specific? Did you call the North America headquarters number and then call one of the numbers from the voice recording or did you call the repair program number that's listed on that page?

Also, did they give you a big hassle or did you pretty much state your case and they said "okay, we'll send you a new one" ???

Upvote 0
Can you be a little more specific? Did you call the North America headquarters number and then call one of the numbers from the voice recording or did you call the repair program number that's listed on that page?

Also, did they give you a big hassle or did you pretty much state your case and they said "okay, we'll send you a new one" ???

I called both numbers (North American HQ and the Repair Center) multiple times.

I just told them that I have been a loyal HTC customer for many years, (Mogul,Touch,Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Incredible work phone, and now EVO) I must have emailed them 10 or more times and called them even more. Until I finally talked to some one who cared. Being persistent is the key. Good luck

Upvote 0
I was able to exchange my 1st 002 model EVO with some light leakage and glass "lifting" at BB about 5 days ago.

The second EVO was a 003 model with no light leakage. Glass was a little raised at the bottom but, was good enough. Once I started setting up my apps, I realized there was a 3/8" band across the middle of the screen that was completely dead to touch input. Back it went to BB yesterday.

The 3rd EVO , 003 model, is PERFECT in every way. Glass was evenly recessed all the way around the bezel, no bad pixels, no dead spots, no grounding issue, etc...

I'm pretty pleased right about now!

habe

Upvote 0
I just saw light leakage for the first time last night and i wondered about the return process myself. Its not that bad, but its just annoying that a high end cell phone would have these issues

I have now Been seeing the light leakage for a week, it started with just the left side and now all four bottom buttons are bleeding out light. The screen is lifting for sure, slowly, but it's starting to separate from the case. :( 003 version...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones