• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Successfully rooted ZTE Avid 4G (MetroPCS)

This should be a fairly straightforward process with minimal risk of bricking your device, however, I am definitely not responsible for any damages incurred during this procedure.

Prerequisites: ZTE device drivers for USB. (Connect your phone via the USB cable and choose the "Install Driver" connection type from your device).

1: Boot phone into FTM (hold the Volume Down key and power on device).
2: Connect USB cable to your computer.
3: Download View attachment 47664 and unzip.
4: Open a command prompt (Start+R) type "command".
5: From the command line, cd into the newly created directory and type root
6: While the phone reboots, be sure to hold the "Volume Down" button to boot back into FTM. If it begins to boot normally, pull the USB cable and power phone down to reattempt booting into FTM. Once you're back in FTM, plug the USB cable back in and the script should resume the process.
7: Once it's finished, let the phone boot into normal mode and verify root access. I used "Root Checker Basic".

Enjoy!

Do u have like a list of metropcs apps and other 3rd party apps that i can safely delete? i dont want all the apps that come with the phone, on my old rooted metrophone i deleted some of those crap apps and my video and audio stopped working aswell as my wifi. zteavid 4g with very limited space left... :{..

Upvote 0
Hey guys i was wondering...is it possible to install the cm 9 boot animation on tolths cm10??? I really liked the boot animation with the large cyanogenmod man thats almost covers the whole screen.
Simple, get ROM Toolbox. :) I have changed my boot animation several times, even on CM10 and have never had a bootloop. I even had the ICS boot animation from the Galaxy Nexus 'cause it looked cool.:)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I was having problems rooting at first. I thought i would make the instructions a bit noob friendly. My issue was with the cd instructions. So I did this. I hope it helps. The different instructions will have an asterisk*

1: Boot phone into FTM (hold the Volume Down key and power on device).
2: Connect USB cable to your computer.
*3: Download ZTE Avid 4g root (MetroPCS).zip and unzip
to root of your C: hard drive.*
4: Open a command prompt (Start+R) type "cmd".
*5: From the command line type "cd C:\6" to get the newly created directory and
type root.*
6: While the phone reboots, be sure to hold the "Volume Down"
button to boot back into FTM. If it begins to boot normally, pull
the USB cable and power phone down to reattempt booting into FTM.
Once you're back in FTM, plug the USB cable back in and the script
should resume the process.
7: Once it's finished, let the phone boot into normal mode and
verify root access. I used "Root Checker Basic"

I believe i've just succeeded with the above?!?!:D I was able to catch the few mistakes myself or author made - mostly commonsensical things like file placement, knowing how to get around in command line interface, and NOT panicing when these seemingly catastrophic errors occured. BIG THANKS! Let me figure out just what i did and will report back. WOW!!

Upvote 0
oh, so first off I am running windows vista. I hooked phone upto laptop and selected install. Ran the .exe and rebooted the computer. started computer back up again and mass storage and usb debugging connect just fine to the laptop. If I boot my phone into FTM it does not pick up my phone at all. tried a few times :-/ ok maybe 20. not sure whats going on. The instructions are cake.. must be vista!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones