1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Sucessfully Rooted. Am I ready for a custom ROM?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TripE46, Jul 5, 2011.

1. TripE46

TripE46 Lurker
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    Hey all, my atrix is my first android phone. I successfully sent my iPhone 3g into infinite recovery loop after jailbreaking, due to frustration with that, I went back to a blackberry for a while.

Ready for something better, I purchased the atrix. Since then I have run aroot, installed and ran gingerbreak, then used superoneclick to allow non market apps.

In browsing for the answer to my question I came across the way to check if I am truly rooted using connectbot. According to the results, I am rooted. After that I downloaded titanium backup and backed up all apps and system data.

My questions are:

Are there any other precautionary measures that I ought to take before modding any further?

Anyone know of a "noob" guide to installing a custom rom? I have not been able to find anything atrix specific?

Any other suggestions/input are greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

2. ultradroid

ultradroid So many android phones...
    None

Apr 24, 2010
    Title Insurance Underwriter
    Cleveland, Ohio - the North Coast!
    Depends on your definition of a custom rom. The roadblock to getting true custom roms, with custom kernels on the Atrix was always the locked bootloader. About 2 weeks ago, a guy named Ken Pennington over on XDA Developers released a program that actually fully and completely unlocks your bootloader on the Atrix. That was followed in a day or so by a progam created/ported over by a guy named Tenfar, again on the XDA Forums, which installs a customized version of Clockwork Mod Recovery onto the Atrix (you have to have a custom recovery, in order to install custom roms), so if you unlock your bootloader using Ken Pennfield's program, and install Tenfar's custom recovery, you'll then be in a position to install any custom roms that are released.

Along those lines, there IS an early version of Gingerbread 2.3.4 which was leaked today. If you're interested, go here - Download Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread for Motorola Atrix 4G - BriefMobile - but be aware, it's a "beta" version and may be buggy. If you're not experienced with installing and using custom roms (and beta versions of software), I would not advise messing with it. Other than that, there is an upcoming custom rom mentioned in this thread - Atrix Android Development - but it's probably a week or so off, from being released.

HTH,

-Mike