1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support sudden battery drain

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mjkgun, Feb 25, 2011.

1. mjkgun

mjkgun Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    UK
    Hi guys,

I am really stuck here, please help:

I've had my MP for few months now, everything was cool until last week when the battery started to drain-off for no apparent reasons (I am talking about 2-3 hours and is dead-flat).
    I am on 2.1 -update 1 , I've tried all the usual tricks (advanced task killer, lowering consumption's settings etc) and I even bought an extra battery which I clearly carry with me (extending, thus, phone's autonomy to 5-6 hours) but, yet, the whole thing is extremely annoying, indeed it's like not having a phone almost. Cannot even blame the migrating from 1.6 to 2.1 as I did it couple of months ago and the phone had worked fine soon after it (apart from some minor stability issues which were solved with followed "update 1").
    ...Don't know, I am considering the cause to be in some sort of battery's software malfunction, in fact I was thinking to reinstall firmware and start from scratch again, yet only if it's my very last option as it implies the hassle of losing/moving datas etc.

Everything started since I installed a music app (actually i am going to disinstall it now), for the rest I really did not do anything else out of the ordinary (also I do not use wi-fi, no automatic updates etc)...

If somebody can help please let me know as I really do not know what to do anymore, anticipate thanks and regards to you all :)

Advertisement

2. rosered

rosered Android Expert
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    UK
    As I started reading your post the first thing that sprang to mind was a bad download of an app can munch your battery. You then mentioned the music app tho you didn't mention which one. I would delete it and see how it goes. If it solves the problem, then re-download it and see if it does it again, if it does then ditch it permanently but you might find that an uninstall reinstall solves the issue.

You could run the repair/reset of the firmware, sync your contacts with google, use SMS Back up and Restore app from market to save messages and use Appbrain app on your phone and online to save your app list.

If you go this root you can then reinstall apps a few at a time to see what it does to the battery. You may never find the culprit as stated previously a reinstall can resolve the issue anyway.

mjkgun likes this.
  3. mjkgun

mjkgun Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    UK

4. mjkgun

mjkgun Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    UK
    PP.S

the update's requests for those 4 apps kicked-in only when on market though (as I did have updates disabled)...so maybe it wasn't the reason for the problem after all...don't know, 'bye now

5. rosered

rosered Android Expert
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    UK
    Hi there, just wondered how you were getting on? Did you run the repair... has it helped? Having apps awaiting updating shouldn't make a vast difference, I always seem to have at least a couple waiting for update when I go in to the market. Anyway let us know how its going!

6. mjkgun

mjkgun Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    UK
    Hi there rosered and guys,
    I still havn't done a restore, will do tomorrow I guess, for now I've installed a battery monitor widget, just to check if is there smtg in particular that it's screwing my battery over; however I've heard people on same handset having still problem even after a restore...worrying :(
    Anyway I am gonna try it and see, worst case scenario I'll contact my network (hoping they will help...doubt that tho), thanx again for help, 'let u know, 'bye now :)

7. mjkgun

mjkgun Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    UK
    Hi guys and ROSERED (sorry in my last post I mispelled your user name:)),

I re-updated to 2.1.1 (A.0.6?) as SEUS gave me the update as "recommended", indeed they had to as the update contained no less that 4more beautiful most needed apps!
    Sarcasm on the side nothing has changed sadly.
    So I am seriously considering to contact network (I am on contract, no insurance though) as I do not know what else to do.
    I probably should mention that the phone dropped one time (from table to "woodfloor") but it happened much earlier than when problem kicked-in (like at least 2weeks b4); would you say that the occurence could be still related? Also I did not properly service the battery, but yet it did do extremely good all along for 5months... I am confused.

Lastly battery monitoring app' usually says that on-idle the phone drains a lot of power nonetheless, can it be an indication of some sort?
    Plus, now, when charging, the phone overheats quite substantially, still, could it be a battery mulfunction? (I do have 2 batteries though, and problem occurs with both).

Thanx again rosered and to whoever might try solving the dilemma; yet I just wished I could have contributed more to topic/community whereas, instead, I have just posit more questions all the same.
    Peace

8. mjkgun

mjkgun Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    UK
    further update: the phone is dead. It doesn't charge anymore.

9. rosered

rosered Android Expert
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    UK
    The phone should have a two year warranty from Sony Ericsson, if you got it via your carrier on contract then I would ring them with a view to having it repaired under warranty. You have done all the things at home that you can. The only other suggestion is to take it a store for your carrier and test it with their display model's battery and charger to see if you can eliminate where the issue is. Then get it sent off if needs be.

mjkgun likes this.
  10. mjkgun

mjkgun Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    UK
    Yes will definetly do so, however now phone is charging again (still not holding power tho) :)

11. mjkgun

mjkgun Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    UK
    Hi rosered,

'brought phone-in, 'got a courtesy phone and I am waiting what's what :)

12. rosered

rosered Android Expert
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    UK
    Let us know how you get on!

13. mjkgun

mjkgun Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    UK
    yep, got a new-one as replacement, thanx for all rosered/guys :)