• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sudden change in battery use

OK so you don't use the fast charger brick that came with the phone? Maybe try it then, for a few days. I don't know - I use the brick that came with the phone - most evenings unless I've charged it over the day at work or something.

It is fast charging if I am using it that way - which supposedly monitoring the battery fairly close but I wonder if it doesn't charge to completeness. SO I've been thinking about charging it on a slower - normal charger to see if I get a bit more out of it

Upvote 0
I get ridiculous standby time (like less than 1% drop over 10hrs); SOT is either amazing, or has these "drain spikes". I was using FB during the period referenced this morning, so I'll assume, for now, that's what it was.

Looks like Facebook had a new update on January 23rd. Version 108.0.0.17.68 Of course it auto updated on my phone on the drive home even though I have auto updates turned off. Is this the version you have?

Also, does anyone know why you can't turn fast charging off in the battery options? My wife has that option on her Note 4. Possibly a licensing deal with Qualcomm, hardware restriction, etc.?

Upvote 0
There are other forums where people are having the same battery drain. Started in the last week. People seem to be blaming the T-Mobile update (Jan 17), but the Facebook update (Jan 23) dropped around the same time (not to mention people are having the same issue on other carriers -- although most complaints seem to be from T-Mobile customers). I also can't explain why I'm not having this issue even with the newest Facebook update and T-Mobile update (and I'm using the provided Quick Charge charger). Not to mention this thread was started way before the T-Mobile update. Wouldn't surprise me if another Facebook update dropped around the same time as this thread started.

Last edited:
Reactions: notacoach
Upvote 0
So apparently only Samsung devices have a toggle in their ROM that turns off the quick charge. IRONIC sure but equally odd that's not in the OS base load.

Or that's how it appears. Even HTC's newest device doesn't seem to have it and neither does the Pixel. Makes one wonder doesn't it. Qualcomm who developed the fast charge idea - using amazingly similar though to how Tesla does theirs and how fast charge Tool batteries work - seems to say it does not harm the battery and it will protect the battery, phone and user.

So - uhm - I have to say I don't mind the feature - but I'd like to not use it. I need to find my old brick so as to not fast charge it off the wall.

Reactions: Muckle Dabuckle
Upvote 0
I've been on my current charge for 36 hours with about 3 hours SOT. I downloaded the Pandora app with 21% battery and it quickly drained to 11% in about ten minutes (even when I wasn't using it). Deleted the app and my phone has stayed at about 11%.

Other than that hiccup the battery life on this phone has been insanely good. It's like the V20 has the battery life of the G2, the loudness of the G4 speaker, and the ruggedness and improved second screen of the V10.

Reactions: notacoach
Upvote 0
I've been on my current charge for 36 hours with about 3 hours SOT. I downloaded the Pandora app with 21% battery and it quickly drained to 11% in about ten minutes (even when I wasn't using it). Deleted the app and my phone has stayed at about 11%.

Other than that hiccup the battery life on this phone has been insanely good. It's like the V20 has the battery life of the G2, the loudness of the G4 speaker, and the ruggedness and improved second screen of the V10.
I'm thrilled with it generally as well. It just...WORKS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones