• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sudden decrease in battery life

My Wife's phone is a Samsung Moment with 2.1 and Out of Nowhere, the battery life went to hell. She usually would get a day or two no prob out of the battery with call it mild use. NOW she can have a dead battery by dinner on a full charge at 6am. This started happening within the last couple of weeks, call it since 10/15/10. Anyone have any ideas what's going on? She hasn't downloaded any new apps or changed any settings.

Thanks.

How is her signal? Mine goes to complete crap if I have a bad signal or roaming. I get a bad signal at work and my battery will be drained by lunch unless I charge the phone or use smoda widget to turn off data connection but then I get no email and cant use web

You can enter a diagnostic mode of sorts by dialing *#4636*1111# then clicking on battery information to check the battery health

Upvote 0
I seem to be having some similiar battery issues that started approximately around the same time. I usually trun my phone off at night and put it on the charger. Sometimes when I trun it back on in the morning with it showing a fully charged battery, it can drop down to 60% - 50% within mere minutes with no use. Then, I put it back on the charger and within about a half hour or so, it's back to 100%.

Upvote 0
Dl the battery history app or an app called spare parts, both free in the market. In "other usage", the running time % and the screen on % should be very close. If not, then something is continuing to run when the phone should be sleeping. Check "cpu usage" and "partial wake" usage to see what the culprit is

Upvote 0
I was Having the same problem until i downloaded an app called advanced task killer. Everytime you use your phone almost all the apps even the ones you dont use start up and run down your battery life. So when i get off the phone or after i text alot i hit the app hit the button that says kill selected apps and it shuts off all the apps. that doesnt mean you cant use your phone but all the apps that have green checkmarks are running and it downs your battery life.

Upvote 0
Wow, I'm having the same issue too. I am running Amstel 2.0 ROM and everything was fine until mid October when battery started to last shorter. I am actually thinking of resetting to factory and restore to a backup from before mid October. I know a lot of apps were updated in the last two weeks including Beautiful Widgets, K-9 Mail, chompSMS, etc. Don't know if one or more of these apps are doing something to drain the battery.

Reactions: SansMerci
Upvote 0
Samaruf,
I have the same setup as you (rom and apps you mentioned) and am having the same problem. It also started in mid October.
If you do the reset and restore, let me know how it works for you. I was considering doing the same thing.
It seems to be all of a sudden too, I could go all day on Amstel with moderate use before going to yellow, now I am yellow by 3 or 4 pm and need to plug in as soon as I get home at 5:30.

Upvote 0
Samaruf,
I have the same setup as you (rom and apps you mentioned) and am having the same problem. It also started in mid October.
If you do the reset and restore, let me know how it works for you. I was considering doing the same thing.
It seems to be all of a sudden too, I could go all day on Amstel with moderate use before going to yellow, now I am yellow by 3 or 4 pm and need to plug in as soon as I get home at 5:30.

It is confirmed now. There has been an update to some app which has caused the battery to lose power much faster, around 4-5 hours max. I reset to factory and restored a backup from 10/10 and so far the battery is holding up well. I have at least 20 apps that now require updates, but will proceed cautiously to filter out the culprit(s). I don't use any task killer and don't feel I need to because Amstel ROM held up well without having to kill any apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones