1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root Suddenly grayed out data/wifi icons

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by R4V3NCL4WD, Jan 19, 2013.

1. R4V3NCL4WD

R4V3NCL4WD New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Female
    Virginia
    The data and wifi icons are have been grayed out for the past few days. They used to be blue. I read that this has something to do with being connected to the Google Services/Servers but my Gmail & Play Store apps are working fine. I'm just worried that something else is wrong.

The problem started after I improperly installed a Cyanogen Mod nightly build ROM. I've done this properly before via Clockworkmod but I did it a different way, via CW Updater, and the phone was messed up. At first I couldn't even get it on, then the lock screen kept turning off, then the screen kept turning off, etc... Then I noticed the issue with the data and wifi icons and that the ROM didn't have a Gmail or Play app. I rolled back to the version I had and discovered that the Gmail and Play apps would turn off seconds after starting. I finally did a factory reset. Now everything is fine except for the icons.

Is there an issue or can I just ignore the grayed out icons?

Advertisement

2. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender

Mar 9, 2012
    Male
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    This happens every once in a blue moon on my gs2, if it's like mine, eventually your data will stop working and a reflash of the rom will get it going again.

DS

R4V3NCL4WD likes this.
  3. R4V3NCL4WD

R4V3NCL4WD New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Female
    Virginia
    What if I'm not using the custom ROM anymore? Does that mean I have to do another factory reset? I actually did a second reset because I was switching phones.

And thanx for such a quick reply!

4. DragonSlayer95

Mar 9, 2012
    Male
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Stock rom? Or not rooted at all?

If a stock rom, well I've never experienced this except while on a cm10 based rom and a flash always fixed it.

As I said above, this shouldn't happen if your unrooted, if it does, a call to carrier would be in order to see what's up since it's a sign of data loss.

When they greyed out, was you using a root required app? Reason I ask, mine Grey out when I use a particular root required app.

DS

5. R4V3NCL4WD

R4V3NCL4WD New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Female
    Virginia
    It is no longer rooted. I guess I'm on a Stock Rom. I flashed it with Odin. I guess I can try to reflash it in the morning. And I don't think I was using a root required app. I think I was too busy freaking out over my phone.

6. DragonSlayer95

Mar 9, 2012
    Male
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    If it's not rooted, then you can't flash anything.

If everything seems fine, I wouldn't sweat it, but if it is bothering you, I'd try a factory reset.

DS