• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Suggest a easy to root/mod tablet?

David97

Lurker
Aug 27, 2014
Can anyone recommend a easy to root/twrp clean rom tablet that is current?

I just want it to mod anything from 8"-10" tablet is fine.

As far as price $200 but i would spend up to $349 as it is a toy so the cheaper the better.
Something readily available.

Thanks.

Also, all the fun root and ROMs got gimped in later versions. You'll never get the kinds of customization that you used to get from CyanogenMod 7 or Paranoid Android or AOKP. Those days are sadly gone. Thanks to Google SafetyNet ruining root, you will have a good number of apps break.

I don't think even Xposed even exists today. Thanks for nothing, Google.

Upvote 0
ok so here is the thing. the best place to go is https://forum.xda-developers.com/ for all things root related. if there is a forum, and it is active, then you have a development community supporting the device. always do your research first there, and if you have any questions then you can come here and ask away.

all of my tablets that i own are samsung tablets and none of them are rooted as i do not see a need to do so. i only use them for certain things like reading ebooks or web browsing. i rarely spend any long time on them so rooting it, for me, is not necessary.

is there a particular brand you like? samsung pretty much rules the tablet world IMHO.

so to get things started i would recomend this:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Gala...4569191&sprefix=samsung+tab+s6,aps,179&sr=8-2

and if you want to root it, here is the guide for the tablet:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/howto-unlock-and-root-the-galaxy-tab-s6-lite.4132289/

Reactions: Dannydet and mikedt
Upvote 0
Root is a must, for me.
Hell, if I still could, I'd have still been using my s3. Four days on a charge (when the signal didn't go to pot)? XDA even enabling up to android 10 on it? Shoot, that was wonderful.

The only thing helping my V20 is being able to have android 11 via Lineage.

My wife only tolerated the Note 4 because of ressurection remix. She hated the G4 because it was stuck on stock ROM. I hated how the factory ROM on my v20 wasted space to put Facebook as a system app. And nowadays, Samsung wants to make that *and* tiktok a system app.

No point for me to go with an iPhone, to have it gimped within a week. Samsung batteries explode, so unless I can replace it myself, they will never again get a dime from me. Lg is out of the game, and no carrier in the states will let me use Oukitel. No retailer will let me get a fairphone to begin with, either.

Without root, the ads on most phones would absolutely have me violently frustrated.

Upvote 0
I use XDA you get zero help there.:rolleyes:

I will buy that tablet used to save a litte. I used to use CleanROM by scotts roms.

Can you no longer use titanium backup? It's still in the store. obviously i have not used android in a long time.
As far a I know TB still works especially if it's still offered in the play store.

Upvote 0
I used to root and ROM back when Android needed help. As in back during the 2.1-early 4.0 days when phones only had literally 100MB of storage and you had to use things like CPU speed utilities or Apps2SD root plugins and VB Supercharger Scripts or more efficient kernels. Plus, back in those days customization was found only in special custom ROMs like CyanogenMod. I don't think even Samsung Themes even compared to the amount of customization I got from CyanogenMod 7.1 on my LG Optimus V.

Now, as for ads, I don't get any on my Thunderbolt. That's probably because the apps are so outdated that the servers they depended on for the ad bars are long gone! Javascript is turned off on all browsers so no ads, and Accuweather is so old it no longer displays ads, and the versions of Angry Birds and Cut the Rope were old paid versions so no ads there, and ColorNote, 12C Financial Calculator, and even Slacker Radio have no ads. All of them are from the 2.3 days, too. Basically every app I've ever used on Android I backed up the APKs during the root days. I always use the same apps, don't have any need for 'updated' versions or modern ones. The few modern ones I use are on tablets (walmart Pay, Kroger Pay, Little Caesar's, and Calm)

The last custom ROM I played with was when I used my Nexus 6. This was when Android 9 was new, and I was disappointed in the lack of customization offered, and that was the only 9.0 ROM available at the time. Lineage is nowhere close to CyanogenMod 7.1. Ain't been a ROM like it since.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I used to root and ROM back when Android needed help. As in back during the 2.1-early 4.0 days when phones only had literally 100MB of storage and you had to use things like CPU speed utilities or Apps2SD root plugins and VB Supercharger Scripts or more efficient kernels. Plus, back in those days customization was found only in special custom ROMs like CyanogenMod. I don't think even Samsung Themes even compared to the amount of customization I got from CyanogenMod 7.1 on my LG Optimus V.

Now, as for ads, I don't get any on my Thunderbolt. That's probably because the apps are so outdated that the servers they depended on for the ad bars are long gone! Javascript is turned off on all browsers so no ads, and Accuweather is so old it no longer displays ads, and the versions of Angry Birds and Cut the Rope were old paid versions so no ads there, and ColorNote, 12C Financial Calculator, and even Slacker Radio have no ads. All of them are from the 2.3 days, too. Basically every app I've ever used on Android I backed up the APKs during the root days. I always use the same apps, don't have any need for 'updated' versions or modern ones. The few modern ones I use are on tablets (walmart Pay, Kroger Pay, Little Caesar's, and Calm)

The last custom ROM I played with was when I used my Nexus 6. This was when Android 9 was new, and I was disappointed in the lack of customization offered, and that was the only 9.0 ROM available at the time. Lineage is nowhere close to CyanogenMod 7.1. Ain't been a ROM like it since.
ahhhhh those were the days. i remember having cyanogen mod 7.1 on my htc evo 4g..........i loved tinkering with that phone.

@David97 if you want a rooted tablet on a budget maybe a kindle fire might soot you:
https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-root-kindle/

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I use XDA you get zero help there.:rolleyes:
One bit of help you can get is to look at the subforums for devices you are interested in any see whether there is any significant development for them. If there isn't you can cross that off your list already.

Fewer people root these days, which means there's less development for most devices. And tablets were always less popular that phones. So I don't know the answer here, but it's likely you have to pick fairly popular models (there's little point in developing for an unpopular one as nobody else will use your work). I had a look at the LineageOS Wiki to see what devices were officially supported (there are others which are unofficially supported) and there were a few tablets: a couple of Lenovos and a few midrange Samsungs, nothing too new. Of course I don't know how actively that Wiki is maintained either, it was just one simple place I could think of that might give some clues.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that with modern Android and many third party skins incorporating stuff such as Knox or SafetyNet or carrier locked bootloaders, root is becoming harder and harder as of late.

If I wanted to blow away Sense and go Stock Android (why would I want to do that since I bought the HTC just to enjoy classic Sense!) then I could easily root something as old as my Thunderbolt, but obviously my priorities have shifted a lot since those days and I just like using and enjoying my phone as it is. It's not like the bad old days when my LG Optimus V ran out of space from a Play Store update!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones