• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Suggest a high capacity battery

I ordered the Seido's 4200mA one. I actually like the thicker case/phone as it's easier to hold in my hand. This battery makes the S4 act like my old Razr Maxx HD. Although the RMHD only had a 3200mA battery, I think it lasted longer than the S4+Seido battery. Of course, the S4 has more HW requirement so that could be the difference. Check them out. Seido Online.

Upvote 0
I'm curious how you guys use the GS4 that drains the battery so much? I find the stock battery to be more than sufficient, but realize that we all use our phones differently. (although that ZeroLemon7500 mAh battery is tempting). Maybe that would power my phone for 6 to 8 weeks like my Kindle 3. :D
In my case it only tends to be an issue when I'm travelling.

In a normal day my phone lasts for most of my waking hours and I charge it overnight. If I am going on an inter-city train though, I tend to have lots of time to kill that I spend watching videos or playing games. I also often have relatively poor reception on the train and the phone has to hop from cell to cell every few hundred metres, which probably contributes to the battery usage.

I also use the wifi hotspot on the train and, judging by how warm the phone gets when I do, I'd guess this uses a lot of juice too.

I think that the S4's battery size is a good compromise between weight and capacity but it isn't always enough.

Upvote 0
For me, the reason is because it's a pain to change the battery and it's a pain to keep the extra batter charged. After having owned the Razr Maxx HD, you really learn to appreciate high capacity batteries. My stock battery gets me through the day, but it doesn't let me do the unexpected (go online to research something for an hour straight - in addition to the normal workload)

Also, like owners of all electric cars, I get "range anxiety" I don't like seeing that yellow battery icon! :)
Fair enough but since I (and you apparently) don't need to do it very often it is one minute once a week vs having an ugly fat phone all the time.

Good luck in your search though.

Upvote 0
Fair enough but since I (and you apparently) don't need to do it very often it is one minute once a week vs having an ugly fat phone all the time.

Good luck in your search though.

I got the Samsung Spare battery with the battery charger case. I can charge the battery outside the phone and the battery has a neat little clear plastic case that it fits in so you can put it in your pocket without fear or damage or worse, having the contacts short out against keys or coins.

I purchased it from Samsung; it normally sells for 50 dollars, but since I registered my phone with samsung I got a coupon code for 50% off items up to 50 dollars so it was 24.99.

My battery easily makes it though most days, but it is nice having that spare available. I don't want a thicker phone and I think this is a good option.

By the way, since the recent upgrade I have noticed tha battery drained a slight bit faster than before the upgrade for the first few days and now seems to have settled back to it's usual duration - weird huh?

Upvote 0
I like the bigger battery since no need to change or dwell on needing to charge if a long day from home and not keep a spare battery in a pocket. I used to put an S3 battery in my wallet but the S4 battery is just big enough to be too big for that.

The Hyperion with the honeycomb case also provides better energy displacement for drops, so less chance of a cracked display.

Upvote 0
Why would you keep trying to have others take your view on battery suggestions. I personally prefer not to have to carry around extra anything since I already have to my pockets full of other things. The convenience of extended batteries for me is that I not only have less to carry but I also don't have to worry about swapping out batteries during a call, or missing a call/text during the swap out. If you don't like extended batteries that's great but stop trying to talk others out of them if thats what they want.

Also, for me, I like having a beefier phone. I think the phone for its size is a little too thin anyway. I have the Otterbox Defender on mine right now and it is more comfortable to hold and use.

Personally I'm thinking about the Zero Lemon 7500 mAh battery but am hearing that it may be interfering a little with reception so I'm still trying to get more opinions on those who have them.

I've said it before and I dare say I shall say it again but why not just buy a spare battery?

Doing so has numerous advantages such as it's cheap (

Upvote 0
I have the Hyperion 5200 with protective case. Had the same type of extended from the same company for my S3 for almost a year and worked great. Battery life was doubled for the S3 and appears the same for S4. $40 for the battery and case.

I also use the Hyperion 5200 in my S4 after having a good experience with their battery in my old S3. This battery definitely eliminates the the worry of the phone going dead at inopportune times. With normal usage, it will last through a weekend.
Now I am looking for a good protective case to fit with the extended battery.

Upvote 0
Been weighing this one up since picking up an S4 recently. Previously had an S2 with an extended battery and it's handy having a battery last you a day and a half, however I like to use clip-on controllers for games (iControlPad) which the extended batteries make awkward. Same for other accessories.

Think I'm gonna just go with a spare battery and charger. As mentioned it's the possibility of having to swap versus always having a beast of a phone in your pocket. Most days a standard battery easily gets me to work and back and through the evening, and the odd time I'm on the train or out the house all day it takes a minute to swap batteries.

Cheers for helping me decide guys. Any standard-size batteries and chargers you'd suggest or just stick with Samsung ones?

Upvote 0
Why would you keep trying to have others take your view on battery suggestions.
I think it ironic that you berate me for offering an alternative that the OP and others may not have considered in a thread where at least one poster has decided to take my advice.

I offer an alternative because people may find it helpful and you can see by the number of people who have kindly taken the time to thank my posts that plenty of people have found my contributions to be helpful.

Upvote 0
Not an attack on you lotus49. I was only saying since the thread is about higher capacity batteries. Again not pointing at you, I just noticed in many forums a lot of people try to convince others that either an extended battery is not a good idea or swapping is a "smarter option".

Personally I don't mind more bulk if it means I can have my phone powered all day. Being a heavy user I have always used extended batteries. Tried multiples and power packs but carrying the extra's around was always a hassle in my particular case. The only issue I am having now is find a holster or belt case since in the pocket is not an option for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Already purchased the ZL 7500 mAh and waiting for delivery.

Jim

I think it ironic that you berate me for offering an alternative that the OP and others may not have considered in a thread where at least one poster has decided to take my advice.

I offer an alternative because people may find it helpful and you can see by the number of people who have kindly taken the time to thank my posts that plenty of people have found my contributions to be helpful.

Upvote 0
Not an attack on you lotus49. I was only saying since the thread is about higher capacity batteries. Again not pointing at you, I just noticed in many forums a lot of people try to convince others that either an extended battery is not a good idea or swapping is a "smarter option".

Personally I don't mind more bulk if it means I can have my phone powered all day. Being a heavy user I have always used extended batteries. Tried multiples and power packs but carrying the extra's around was always a hassle in my particular case. The only issue I am having now is find a holster or belt case since in the pocket is not an option for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Already purchased the ZL 7500 mAh and waiting for delivery.

Jim

I've had the ZeroLemon extended for awhile and I love it. I use it almost 100% of the time now. I do not mind the bulk at all, and I think it feels more sturdy with the extended case on. I get about 2 days with around 9-10 hours of screen time.

Upvote 0
I recently purchased the Zerolemon 7500 and it does the job! 3 to 4 days on a single charge with average use. The only down fall is the signal is greatly reduced, I sometimes cannot send a text or even get a call from my office. With the stock battery I get about double the signal strength.. Not sure if anybody else has noticed this or knows of a solution?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones