• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Suggest a keyboard

dylane

Oct 22, 2010
I've been having trouble finding a keyboard that really works well for me. I'm looking for one that:

1) Is resizable, or doesn't take up more than about 1/3 of the screen in landscape

2) Has a dedicated number row, and special keys like ctrl and tab

3) Will suggest words/phrases based on what I've typed before

Hacker's keyboard is great for 1&2, but doesn't do any prediction AFAIK (it does suggest names out of my address book, but that's it). Swipe and Swift Key seem to have really big keyboards, but have a lot less keys. Any other good options?

The Samsung Keyboard isn't too bad, but I much prefer Swype; it seems much more accurate in predictions and is better at learning words from what I have experienced. If only I could get it to work in one-handed mode. That's the only reason I keep using the Samsung Keyboard. I thought there would be a mod or something devs would have made for these other keyboards to work better on the Note 2 :(.

Upvote 0
FYI..after I posted this I found out that there is a separate dictionary download available for Hacker's Keyboard on the Play Store. I'd originally downloaded the keyboard from F-Droid, and the dictionary isn't available there for some reason. After downloading the dictionary word suggestions are working, although I'm not sure yet if it will automatically add words I type often into the dictionary automatically. But at least for the time being, Hacker's keyboard is my go to keyboard.

Upvote 0
I've been having trouble finding a keyboard that really works well for me. I'm looking for one that:

1) Is resizable, or doesn't take up more than about 1/3 of the screen in landscape

2) Has a dedicated number row, and special keys like ctrl and tab

3) Will suggest words/phrases based on what I've typed before

Hacker's keyboard is great for 1&2, but doesn't do any prediction AFAIK (it does suggest names out of my address book, but that's it). Swipe and Swift Key seem to have really big keyboards, but have a lot less keys. Any other good options?

Haven't yet seen a keyboard with a dedicated number "row" that is only 1/3 the height of the screen in landscape mode.

I have 3 keyboards (including the stock keyboard) that have dedicated number keys. But including the predictions, it's at least half the screen in landscape mode.

1) stock keyboard: Love the layout, swipe capabilities, lousy word prediction

2) Ultra Keyboard: highly customizable, swipe capabilities, awkward key placement, average key prediction.

3) Thumb Keyboard (numpad style layout in the center). Great for landscape mode. Not so good word prediction.

So far my favorite has been Swype, stock and SwiftKey. SwiftKey can almost have the convenience of dedicated number keys without having dedicated number keys. What I do is adjustable the long press duration to it's minimal setting. This way when I press the key twice as long as tapping, I'll get numbers. For numerical data inputs. I tend to use the stock keyboard more. But for FB and forum use I favor Swype more than anything else.

Sent using the force

Upvote 0
Haven't yet seen a keyboard with a dedicated number "row" that is only 1/3 the height of the screen in landscape mode.

I have 3 keyboards (including the stock keyboard) that have dedicated number keys. But including the predictions, it's at least half the screen in landscape mode.

1) stock keyboard: Love the layout, swipe capabilities, lousy word prediction

2) Ultra Keyboard: highly customizable, swipe capabilities, awkward key placement, average key prediction.

3) Thumb Keyboard (numpad style layout in the center). Great for landscape mode. Not so good word prediction.

So far my favorite has been Swype, stock and SwiftKey. SwiftKey can almost have the convenience of dedicated number keys without having dedicated number keys. What I do is adjustable the long press duration to it's minimal setting. This way when I press the key twice as long as tapping, I'll get numbers. For numerical data inputs. I tend to use the stock keyboard more. But for FB and forum use I favor Swype more than anything else.

Sent using the force

Thanks. Very useful information. I still haven't tried Swiftkey, even though I've heard such good things about it, might have to give it a try now, although not having a ctrl key would take a lot of getting used to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones