• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Suggestion box: click through in devices selection

I was thinking that maybe it would be cool if I could click on one of my devices under my picture on the side and go to that specific forum. Like if I have LG Esteem on my devices list when I click on LG Esteem it would take me to the LG Esteem forum.

Its not a bad idea, but I've found the 'Favorite Forums' list on the left hand side of any board page (when logged in) to be especially helpful in this regard. It makes for a quick jump to any device's forum I want to frequent.

The biggest problem that I see is when people take liberties with the naming of their devices, or add all kinds of extra details like which ROM they are using. It would be very difficult to generate a fixed hyperlink from someone's custom text. Alot of folks like to use nicknames for their phones or shorthand too. And if you give folks the ability to anchor their own customized link to a device there, it would potentially become an issue of abuse - lots of links would be directed to places other than the on the forum here.

When the thought of adding a carrier to our user details came up the other day I thought of suggesting a drop down list of carriers to choose from, and changing our device list to a specified drop down list too, but I think in the long run it just creates more work for someone to manage the database of new devices and every carrier under the sun (my end game thinking with these drop downs was to have a static piece of data in the carrier box that could be utilized and automatically generated as a optional carrier prefix for community members making new threads - it was also an idea for a way to let users have multiple devices associated with multiple carriers in their data, for those with multiple phones).
But who around here needs more work? Nobody. Plus it would be something else that would have to be loaded for every post. Potentially slowing our load times...
It would limit the customize-ability of device lists too, which isn't necessarily a good thing.
The simpler the better sometimes right?

Reactions: Xyro and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Yeah, for navigating to the sections of devices you use, I'd recommend the favourite forums tool, as already mentioned. A link to any section you want will show up on the left of the screen when browsing the forum.

When it comes to navigating to sections of devices you don't use, I think that would only really be useful for staff and so wouldn't be a priority to add.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones