• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Suggestion to make Note one-hand operable

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/heres-why-lenovos-new-android-5-incher-is-a-tablet/16492 ZDNet says the Lenovo's 5-inch phone is a tablet not a phone because it cannot be operated in one hand.

I have tried using the Note with one hand on the occassions when my left hand is not free. I can enter a message, but only barely, with Swype. The problem is that the virtual keyboard fills the whole width of the screen, and as a result I struggle to stretch my thumb to reach the letters on the left.

There is no need for such a large keyboard. The keyboard on the Galaxy S was good enough but could be slightly bigger to reduce key clashes. If the Note could have a smaller virtual keyboard that can be docked left or right on the screen it would make one-hand operation much easier.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/heres-why-lenovos-new-android-5-incher-is-a-tablet/16492 ZDNet says the Lenovo's 5-inch phone is a tablet not a phone because it cannot be operated in one hand.

I have tried using the Note with one hand on the occassions when my left hand is not free. I can enter a message, but only barely, with Swype. The problem is that the virtual keyboard fills the whole width of the screen, and as a result I struggle to stretch my thumb to reach the letters on the left.

There is no need for such a large keyboard. The keyboard on the Galaxy S was good enough but could be slightly bigger to reduce key clashes. If the Note could have a smaller virtual keyboard that can be docked left or right on the screen it would make one-hand operation much easier.

What is the height and width of the Note's Screen?

Upvote 0
The displayable area is 113mm x 71mm.

In the landscape mode, the virtual keyboard stretches to fill the full width, which actually makes it harder to enter text, whether with Swype or direct.

I never knew what Swype was till I just Googled it. Wow, how fast is it and does it always find the right words if you follow the right path? You would have a little further to go on the Note but wouldn't your hit accuracy increase? You could also get that Thumb Keyboard and make the virtualy keyboard smaller. But you also have the option to lay the phone down on a table and type in directly, something that is pretty had with a 3.2 inch screen, albeit the glare makes it hard to see at least on my BlackBerry Storm 2.

Upvote 0
I never knew what Swype was till I just Googled it. Wow, how fast is it and does it always find the right words if you follow the right path?

On a touch screen, I can't live without Swype. Swype works on a simple dictionary lookup. The longer your word, the better you are at getting it right all the time. In fact, it's quite forgiving, especially for long words. For example I could have traced to a wrong letter and moved back and it still gets the word right.

Most people I know with phones equipped with Swype are not using it because they don't know about it and that it's there. Swype is not free, Samsung has included it, and we paid for it, so it's a good idea to make good use of it! :)

With the extra room on the Note for options, Swype is even easier to use. You just have to get used to that the blue word, which is not always the first word, will be chosen one if you don't do anything about it.

Whether it's Swype or direct key touch, there's an optimal distance to have to move your fingers around. On the Note landscape, it's definitely too much to travel on the standard keyboard.

About the one-hand operation, I was talking about the situations where you are mobile and your other hand is full.

Upvote 0
Swype is the shit.

I'm kind of glad that I've given up on trying to see my G-Note as a one-handed device. I mean, even my S2 is just large enough that it's a matter of time until I drop it. My iPhone 3GS was totally one-handed (no Swype), but then it's an iPhone 3GS. So I've surrendered to the Note's two-handedness in a lot of situations, and even though that kind of sucks, at least I'm no longer risking...OH **** ME I JUST DROPPED MY G-NOTE

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones