1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Suggestions for New Phone: ANT+, SD, Removable Battery ?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by PeteCress, Feb 2, 2016.

1. PeteCress

PeteCress Android Enthusiast

My 1st gen Note (Samsung N7000) seems to be getting flakier and flakier.

Tried a Factory Reset, got some improvement, but it's still awfully slow and there are other weirdnesses that make me think maybe the screen is on the way out.

Don't have the heart to try installing Cyanogen right now, so I am starting to obsess over a replacement phone.

Musts:
    • Gorilla Glass

• Removable Battery

• ANT+ Support (for a heart rate monitor chest strap)

• SD Card Support: at least 64 gigs. .... Understood that I might have to reconsider this one. ... For reasons I do not understand, makers seem to be moving away from external SD card support. .... 64 gigs of internal might do it for me.

• At least as much horsepower as the N7000

• Ability to run Google Services - especially Contacts and Tasks. I am far from being in love with Google, but do not know enough to avail myself of alternatives which will auto-backup to a Cloud and synch across devices. ... Contacts and Tasks are my two heavy hitters in this respect.

Nice-To-Haves:

• Runs Cyanogen out of the box. Not sure why... except that it seems desireable to have the simplest, most plain-vanilla Android instead of something weighed down by some maker's marketingware.

• 128-gig SD support

• Stylus - mainly for TeamViewer connections to big screens

• More horsepower than the N7000

• Some degree of water-resistance. Seems like nobody supports true waterproofness because that would require an alternate non-plug USB interface, but surviving being dropped in the toilet would be nice.

• Ability to run Nova Desktop. Not a religious issue.... but I am running it on all my other devices and don't have a lot of grey matter to spare.
    Anybody got something near and dear to their heart ?

#1 PeteCress, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I don't know about ANT+, but for most of your purposes I'd have thought that a Galaxy Note 4 would do the trick (stylus, removable battery, SD, more power than the N7000). LG flagships (e.g. G4) also have SD and removable battery ("musts"), but no stylus (only a "nice").

Actually apart from Google themselves and 2015 Samsungs most manufacturers support SD, and most who moved away from it moved back (Sony, HTC, Motorola all brought it back, in some cases 2-3 years ago). Samsung were pretty much out of step dropping SD in the 2015 flagships, and many people expect that to be reversed this year.

3. PeteCress

PeteCress Android Enthusiast

What is your take on the desireability of Cyanogen ?

It's not a big deal with me, but if I am buying a new device, I might as well make an informed choice.

I see OnePlus and WileyFox out there...

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

1 know CM as a custom ROM, and just one amongst many. You can install it on many devices, but if a device has a decent development community here will be other options. 1 haven't used it myself for a few years, so don't know what current versions are like, but to me it's just another ROM really.

l don't know much about the WileyFox devices, but I thought OnePlus were moving away from CM to their own flavour of Android.

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Note 4 is indeed the one that seems to fit the bill the most. The Note 5 certainly doesn't, and while it appears that the next gen Samsung flagships will bring back the SD card, there seems to be no indication of whether they'll bring back removable batteries.