• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Suggestions on a good metro phone?

So this weekend I'm going to either switch my lg volt to metro or get a new phone.

The LG Volt is CDMA only and will not work with MetroPCS, you'll need a GSM phone.

If you're interested in phones they don't offer you can also buy an unlocked phone like the Moto X direct from Motorola (or Nexus from Google) and use them on Metro. :thumbsupdroid:

Reactions: CrimsonToker
Upvote 0
There we go, a nice phablet! Lol. That looks promising
It's a nice phone,very smooth.
Just a BTW if you're planning on rooting:
AFAIK,(MPCS) units shipping w/5.1.1 cannot be rooted ATM.
If you're wanting to root/TWRP,see if they'll let you turn the unit on to check for 5.0.x or 5.1.1
The 5.0 can be rooted & TWRP'ed & there's a pre-rooted ROM or update for rooted MPCS devices to get you to 5.1.1 & still retain root/TWRP.
All that info & links can be found here in the sub-forum:
http://androidforums.com/forums/root-lg-g-stylo.3134/
& the standard device forum:
http://androidforums.com/forums/lg-g-stylo.3133/

Upvote 0
Lg g stylo looks interesting too. How is the stylus built in?
Check this out:

I'm very curious what kind of apps it comes with to utilize that feature!
Nothing really that is stylus specific,as w/the S-Pen on the Samsung Note series.
However,there may be apps in the Google PlayStore that are suited/purposed for stylus use.

Upvote 0
I've been looking at the zmax online actually. I've never heard of zte brand before this phone. Any major differences compared to other brands? Unique features or anything? Lg g stylo looks interesting too. How is the stylus built in? I'm very curious what kind of apps it comes with to utilize that feature!
No, nothing really special. Battery life is really good with the zmax, I'll say that much I've gotten upto 6:30 or more hours of screen on time. Funny enough, I just tried a regular Stylus on the zmax and it works well. Screen is fine for my taste I enjoy watching YouTube and Netflix on it. No major issues at least for me . Just my point of view as far as owning a zmax. Can't say anything about the stylo since I don't own one. Hope this helps ,
Anthony.

Upvote 0
Just talked with the metro employee. Every sign for their display phones are wrong. Lg Leon says it has 4 gigs of RAM. Lg g stylo says 12 gigs of RAM. Galaxy 6, 32 gigs. I pointed it out to her and she said "oh that's the phones capacity." No. Maybe with the 32 gigs Galaxy 6. But 12 gigs and 4 gigs? It doesn't match storage or RAM for those phones. They employ morons that don't know what they are talking about..

Upvote 0
I'm moving to an area in the hills where the only working service, oddly enough, is metro. So this weekend I'm going to either switch my lg volt to metro or get a new phone.

16 or 32 gig internal memory is a must, and something that can handle games/videos really well. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
The G Stylo, The Zmax and the avant are your choices then. The Zmax has amazing battery life.

Upvote 0
Just talked with the metro employee. Every sign for their display phones are wrong. Lg Leon says it has 4 gigs of RAM. Lg g stylo says 12 gigs of RAM. Galaxy 6, 32 gigs. I pointed it out to her and she said "oh that's the phones capacity." No. Maybe with the 32 gigs Galaxy 6. But 12 gigs and 4 gigs? It doesn't match storage or RAM for those phones. They employ morons that don't know what they are talking about..
She was right about the storage (except for the S6). Those are how much free space the phone has after the OS takes up memory. So although the phones are advertised as having 8,16,32 gigs of memory, the actual amount the phone has will be less.

Upvote 0
Really?? But why call it RAM? That's different from storage, isn't it?
Yes it's two different things. I've seen many people confuse the two, usually referring to internal storage as RAM for both phones and computers.

Lg g stylo says 12 gigs of RAM.
I'm guessing the 16GB Stylo has 12GB internal storage available to the user, then they incorrectly labeled those 12GB as RAM. o_O

Upvote 0
Really?? But why call it RAM? That's different from storage, isn't it? When I'm shopping for phones, I always look for something with 2 gigs of RAM, for better gaming, though it's always out of my price range and I've only ever had phones with 1 gig..
Yea its different because the storage is actually called ROM. If you looking for a cheap alternative phone with 2gb of ram, try the moto G (2nd or 3rd generation).

Upvote 0
Really?? But why call it RAM? That's different from storage, isn't it? When I'm shopping for phones, I always look for something with 2 gigs of RAM, for better gaming, though it's always out of my price range and I've only ever had phones with 1 gig..
I'm with you ROM and RAM are two very different things. If you get a stylo or a zmax you'll get 2 gbs of ram, so enjoy those 2 gbs . They are both 16 gbs of rom. I don't know how much of that is available on the stylo, but on the zmax available space is 11.64 gbs.
Anthony.

Reactions: bobnstpete
Upvote 0
Umm, since metro is T-Mobile now you should be able to pick up something from them. I'd try for the LG G4. If that was the case
Did the two merge? I hadn't heard about that.

My thoughts exactly (but not the G4),however,the OP stated he wanted to stay under $300...........................
Yes. If I were getting anything more expensive I would go for the m9, even though it's CDMA.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones