• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Suggestions on a new phone...Please read

_ray_

Jul 31, 2010
hello all..
this is my first post in this forum and i have looked around for some answers but couldnt find the right one...
I have a contract upgrade due next month and i am looking to get my first android phone..
am currently with orange and they have a nice selection of phones to choose from..
My options are
1. Xperia X10
2. Samsung Galaxy S
3. HTC Desire

I already have a sound knowledge of which phone does wat and their specs but i need a first hand opionion from the actual people who use it themselve.
The main thing i am looking in a phone is that it shud last me the next 18 months i know its a bit optimistic but i done want to buy a phone dat is outdated in next 8months or so
secondly i need a phone with good multimedia capabilities e.g watching movies both on youtube and through sdcard...listening to music...playing latest top of the line 3d games on high fps...browsing internet/checking emails and taking the odd picture/movie
Now i know all of the above mentioned phone do these but the question is which phone does is better than other ?
I have read that each phone has got its pros and cons for e.g samsung is a bit laggy in certain places and for me desire isnt the best looking phone out there when compared to xperia and samsung and list is even longer with xperia x10 including no MT and outdated OS (dun wanna wait till the new OS and still its not guarenteed if they gonna fix all da issues)
MT for some of you might be overrated but for me its a must have feature as more n more apps/games will b utilizing it in coming days also i have heard dat samsung MT is much more responsive then HTC what is your opinion about it?
software updates/customer care is another issue me as i dont wanna be hanged aound waiting for an year just to get an update which is already 8 months old..
I will also be looking to root my phone is the future as i have done it with my htc touch hd in the past..so in this respect which phone is more safe/better bet?

please feel free to post ur comments...
thx

well, the desire just got the 2.2 update this weekend OTA, although you're going to be hard pushed to find a desire brand new with an AMOLED screen now..

i personally use the desire and i can recommend it. sense is great, the phone is functional and it really does impress me everytime i use it.. i haven't heard great things about the touchwiz UI on the galaxy S, and well, the X10 is still lagging behind with 1.6, don't even know if it will ever see 2.2...

can't really comment on rooting each phone, you should jump into the sub forums a bit and try find out some info mate :)

is price not a problem for you? if so, then you don't need to factor that in when making the decision :)

Upvote 0
nah..price is not an issue as i am getting a phone with upgrade..so far i am inclined towards Galaxy S mainly because of its raw power in 3d applications and better MT capability...also it will be getting the 2.2 upgrade and last but not da least for me its a better looking phone then desire( no offense)
i went to carphone today and played around with galaxy s and am quite impressed with it ...it seems nice in ur hand and is v light !! couldnt find any lag issues with it but then again i only used it for 5 mins... sceeen looked much sharper but then again i did like the UI of desire much more vibrant and loaded with features..
in the end it comes to longevity and durability of the phone..and am not sure which one will be the best bet for me

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones